Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Rootkit Infection on xp home :hysterical:

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dealsu

dealsu

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:13 PM

Help hysterical.gif

Here is my story: For the past 2 weeks, my Browser seem to act strangely on my Home Desktop. It was redirecting any searches to some spam sites etc. I ran the Malwarebytes Anti malware, Spybot S&D etc. and removed the malware they identified. still no use. So today I set out to fix this problem and did the following:

1. Downloaded a fresh copy of malware bytes antimalware using a diffferent laptop. copied it on to fresh USB drive and ran the setup and subsequent removal. re booted machine. Still no change to the browser redirects.
2. Downloaded Combofix today (ie latest version) and ran it after disabling all of my CA antivirus etc. Now Combofix said it identified a "rootkit" and ran through a whole series of removal/reboots etc. It has produced a log. I am very concerned after it said that it found a rootkit. Therefore I have stopped it right there and I have posted the log here. Can someone verify if it looks good. I heard that once we have any rootkit infection, the only way to get it cleaned is by reinstalling the OS. Is that the case for me here? Am I doomed?

sad.gif

EDIT: Moved from XP to Malware Removal Logs, more appropriate forum ~ Hamluis.

I know, I just read the warning about not running combofix unless advised to do so. unfortunately, the damage is done. A big SORRY for that.

Attached Files

Edited by dealsu, 20 April 2010 - 02:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dealsu

dealsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:24 AM

Can someone please respond? Thanks !

#3 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,785 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:48 PM

Hello, and welcome.gif to the Malware Removal forum! My online alias is Blade Zephon, or Blade for short, and I will be assisting you with your malware issues!

If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know.

In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see a button called Options. If you click on this in the drop-down menu you can choose Track this topic. By doing this and then choosing Immediate E-Mail notification and then clicking on Proceed you will be advised when we respond to your topic and facilitate the cleaning of your machine.

Before we begin cleaning your machine, I'd like to lay out some guidelines for us to follow while we are working together.
  • I will be assisting you with your malware issues. This may or may not resolve other problems you are having with your computer. If you are still having problems after your machine has been determined clean, I will be glad to direct you to the proper forum for assistance.
  • Even if things appear better, that does not mean we are finished. Please continue to follow my instructions until I give you the all clean. Absence of symptoms does not mean that all the malware has been removed. If a piece of the infection is left, it can regenerate and reinfect your machine.
  • Attention to detail is important! Since I cannot see or directly interact with your computer I am dependent on you to "be my eyes" and provide as much information as you can regarding the current state of your computer.
  • I ask that you please refrain from running tools other than those I suggest to you while I am cleaning up your computer. The reason for this is so I know what is going on with the machine at any time. If you act independently it will cause changes to your system that I will not be aware of, which will make the process of cleaning the machine a much slower and more difficult process. Additionally, some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process.
  • Please perform all steps in the order received. If you are unsure or confused about any instructions I give you, you should ask me to clarify before doing anything. Additionally, if you run into any problems while carrying out instructions, you should STOP and reply back here explaining what happened.
  • After 5 days if a topic is not replied to we assume it has been abandoned and it is closed. If you need additional time, that is perfectly alright; you just need to let us know beforehand. smile.gif

Please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine.

If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.

If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.
Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:
  • Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

Please download gmer.zip and save to your desktop.
  • Extract (unzip) the file to its own folder such as C:\Gmer. (Click here for information on how to do this if not sure.)
  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security program drivers will not conflict with gmer's driver.
  • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled.
  • Double-click on gmer.exe to start the program.
  • Allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • You may be prompted to scan immediately if GMER detects rootkit activity.
  • If you are prompted to scan your system click "Yes" to begin the scan.
  • If not prompted, click the "Rootkit/Malware" tab.
  • On the right-side, all items to be scanned should be checked by default except for "Show All". Leave that box unchecked.
  • Select all drives that are connected to your system to be scanned.
  • Click the Scan button to begin. (Please be patient as it can take some time to complete)
  • When the scan is finished, click Save to save the scan results to your Desktop.
  • Save the file as gmer.log and copy/paste the contents in your next reply.
  • Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.
~Blade

In your next reply, please include the following:
DDS.txt
Attach.txt
GMER.log

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users