Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Event Viewer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 angieInVA

angieInVA

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:24 PM

I'm coming from another one of your forums, I was asked to run sfc /scannow and when I checked the Event Viewer I came across this error.......

Error code c0000145, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000.

it was a system error from a couple of days ago, around the time I was running a GMER scan, This is the thread I'm coming from.....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/310235/rootkitads/

thanks,

Angie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:53 PM

Since you still have an open malware thread...you need to finish that up before contemplating or making any changes to your system. You are in very capable hands in the AII forum.

FWIW: The narrative accompanying that error...tells you pretty much what happened. Something was trying to run and ran into problems.

Louis

#3 angieInVA

angieInVA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:17 PM

thanks Louis,

"boopme" said that it looks like a possible RAM/memory problem...and suggested that I post in this forum.

Angie

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:37 PM

OK, I see that he said your system is now clean.

How much RAM installed in your system?

What is the narrative accompanying the error numbers? The narrative should refer to a give application or Windows function.

There is no specific issue that I know of associated with Error code c0000145, the narrative accompanying the numbers you posted are important.

I suggest going to Event Viewer and seeing what errors are listed which may contain details about the error.

Without the narrative which comes with such error message...I could not even guess what may have happened.

Please read the following before using Event Viewer: How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/.

Louis

#5 angieInVA

angieInVA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:16 PM

Thank you, There is only 2 GB of memory on this computer,

Like I said I was told to look at Event viewer and see if there is something SFC or any errors. I didn't see any thing referencing SFC but I did find the above error which occured around the time I was running GMER.exe. I hope this makes sense. attached is a image of the properties of the system error.

Angie

Attached Files

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:39 PM

While that graphic does reflect the error code in Event Viewer...it doesn't tell us any more about the error.

Event ID 1003 is generic, with interpretation of the ID totally dependent on the error code or error message accompanying.

If you do a Google search using "error code c0000145" as the search string, you get Google List, C000000145

Nothing definitive, lots of speculation...take a look for yourself.

C000000145 is not a standard STOP error, it's something unusual that pops up. The standard message associated with it seems to be "the application failed to initialize properly"...which is totally useless without the named application.

I suspect that someone suggested that you run the sfc /scannow command...because they suspected that you have missing or damaged system files, I don't know.

In any case...if your system is functioning properly, there is little point in being concerned about it.

If you had clicked on the Microsoft link which appeared with the error message, they possibly could have provided more info. Since I don't see where you posted that info or graphic...I'm assuming that you did not see if they had additional info about the error notification.

Louis

#7 angieInVA

angieInVA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:25 PM

Thank you, when I click on the mircosoft link this is what it says...

Item Name Value

Category (102)
Company Name Microsoft Corp
Date 4/17/2010
Event ID 1003
File Name faultrep.dll
File Version 5.1.2600.5512
Product Name Microsoft Windows Operating System
Product Version 5.2600.5512
Source System Error
Time 09:47:50 AM
Type Error

if that help any........sorry for not posting it before.

the only issues I seem to have is that the computer does lockup, freezes up from time to time and the other issue I'm not sure if it's a IE issue or a issue with my mouse, but when I'm dragging my mouse over text while using IE, reading a website......etc. Out of no where I get new browser windows open and/or one closing without me doing anything but reading and dragging my mouth, it seems a little touchy. Like I said I'm not sure if it's a mouse or IE problem but it is only happenening with IE now, sorry that's the best way I can explain it.

Thank you agian

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:52 PM

Faultrep.dll

Description: faultrep.dll, as its name suggests, reports faults! Part of the Windows XP operating system, it is the support file that makes the Windows fault reporting system work.

Thus, if faultrep.dll is damaged or absent, any faults that there within the operating system of your PC will remain unreported.

And...the major reporting tool in XP isn't working.

I would either run a repair install of XP or run the sfc /scannow command. I tend to prefer a repair install, but it's apparent that you have system files which are damaged/missing.

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Louis

#9 angieInVA

angieInVA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:18 AM

thank you again, I have already run sfc /scannow and will check and running repair as soon as possible. right now I have a bigger issue with McAfee....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic311599-15.html

when it rains it pours.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users