Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MAXD1.EXE? WT?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 liasonswithlions

liasonswithlions

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 24 September 2005 - 05:38 AM

As this seems to be the place for people to point at me and go "Oh no,m you've got that!? Here, GET RID OF IT!"

I found this site by way of a web search, trying to figure out why a general page fault error thingy keeps popping up saying that "MAXD1.EXE" has had an error.

Firstly what is "MAXD1.EXE"
Secondly, where did it come from, I surely did not install it on my own, I'd remember that Me thinks and
Thirdly, why is it that everywhere I look it lists this as being a thing that pesters Win XP, I have 98.

What gives?

-The Very Confused and Annoyed,
Kitty.

EDIT: For the super geeks, this is what keeps popping up in the error box.:

MAXD1 caused an invalid page fault in
module MAXD1.EXE at 016f:0040193e.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=016f EIP=0040193e EFLGS=00010256
EBX=010d1028 SS=0177 ESP=0053fce8 EBP=0053fd38
ECX=ffffffff DS=0177 ESI=00403ca0 FS=3e2f
EDX=010d103d ES=0177 EDI=010d102c GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
f2 ae 85 c9 74 05 8d 47 ff eb 02 31 c0 9d 5f c2

Edited by liasonswithlions, 24 September 2005 - 05:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 24 September 2005 - 09:48 AM

Hello liasonswithlions and welcome to BC.

Trend Micro calls this infection DIAL_MAXD.A as detailed here. This is a dialer program and will attempt to contact sites that will charge you large amounts of money plus long distance fees for someone's gain. If you use dialup you should remove your phone line when the computer is not in use to ensure this doesn't happen, although it seems this is a failed installation.

The fact the info you found indicates its an XP thing is probably why you get this error on your 98 machine as its likely not compatible. As Martha would say, "That is a good thing".

Try using Trend Micro's Housecall Online Scan to remove this infection.

For some reason Install on demand is enabled by default in Internet Explorer causing problems such as unauthorized downloads that install without your knowledge. This may be how you aquired this malware. To protect yourself against this situation do this:

In Internet Explorer go to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced and take the check mark from Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer) and Enable Install On Demand (Other). The consequence of this will be that you will begin to see Security Warnings when something tries to install on your computer. Unless it is something you want to install (which happens rarely) always say no.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users