Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

having a problem with a router and win 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FayB

FayB

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:38 AM

I have a LINKSYS BEFSR41 ver 2 router that I have used for some time on 2 win xp computers. I haven't had a problem and it still works fine on those. I just got a new computer with WIN 7. I could not get IE to connect to the internet on the new computer. I downloaded the Firefox install file to an external drive on the xp computer and installed on the win 7 computer. I could not get Firefox to connect either.

I did some web searches and found where someone else had the same problem. The way they solved it was to change the nic setting on the win 7 machine to 10 Mbps full duplex from auto detect. I made the same change and it worked. But, it is very slow. (The win 7 machine worked ok when plugged directly into the Cable modem)

I updated the routers firmware - that did not help.

I have done other searches and found other people with the same problem but no solution .

The windows 7 compatibility list does not list routers that are not compatible and on the one that are compatible it lists only wireless. I don't use wireless at all and don't want to get a wireless router unless I have too.

Does anyone know if one of the newer BESFR41 routers will work - or another wired router that will. And of course if you know of a way to make my current one work without having to set the speed down that would really be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:48 PM

I would say your issue is more than likely in the network settings on the Win 7 PC.

Open the Network and Sharing Center and see if there is a network detected when you are hard-wired into the router. From there, make sure you set the network as Home or Work network and not Public network.

Also check your NIC's settings and make sure that IPv4 is enabled and that it is set to "Obtain IP Address Automatically"

One question: have you tried to check your IP address using IPCONFIG? That would shed some light on this issue.

**Another thing: Make sure that neither IP nor MAC Filtering is enabled on the router. This will prevent new PCs from connecting properly as well.

Edited by Eric ~ Computer Guy, 20 April 2010 - 04:51 PM.

#3 FayB

FayB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:15 PM

Hi Eric,

I now have 3 computers connected to the router. Two of then are win xp and have the nic speed set to auto detect. They work fine. On my win 7 computer if the nic speed is set to auto detect or 100mbps - then when I go to look at my network - I am not connected. If i go and change the NIC speed to 10Mbps full duplex it is detected. That is exaclty the same thing I found posted in the Linksys forum. I have no idea why this is. But with it set to 10 Mbps- the speed is too slow.

IP4 is enabled, I have tried it with IP6 both ways - enabled and disabled.

On the new computer
with nic speed set to 10Mbps-
IPCONFIG /all shows my IP address
windows shows I am conneted to the network
with nic speed set to autodetect or 100Mbps
IPCONFIG /all does not show my IP address
windows shows I am not connected to any network

I went into my router settings and from the best I can tell neither ip nor mac filtering is enabled.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Fay

#4 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:12 PM

Hi Eric,

I now have 3 computers connected to the router. Two of then are win xp and have the nic speed set to auto detect. They work fine. On my win 7 computer if the nic speed is set to auto detect or 100mbps - then when I go to look at my network - I am not connected. If i go and change the NIC speed to 10Mbps full duplex it is detected. That is exaclty the same thing I found posted in the Linksys forum. I have no idea why this is. But with it set to 10 Mbps- the speed is too slow.

IP4 is enabled, I have tried it with IP6 both ways - enabled and disabled.

On the new computer
with nic speed set to 10Mbps-
IPCONFIG /all shows my IP address
windows shows I am conneted to the network
with nic speed set to autodetect or 100Mbps
IPCONFIG /all does not show my IP address
windows shows I am not connected to any network

I went into my router settings and from the best I can tell neither ip nor mac filtering is enabled.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Fay

What speed and settings are set for the Windows XP PCs? Are they set at 100 mbps as well, or 10?

#5 FayB

FayB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:03 PM

Eric,

For the other 2 computers - the nic speed is set to auto detect as they always have been and the speed is fine. If I go to my old xp computer (the one this is replacing) and set the nic speed to 10Mbps - it slows down just like this one - but the old one works fine and at good speed set to auto detect and that is how it is set now.

Not sure if I gave you everyhing you wanted.

Thanks
Fay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users