Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Host File corrupted

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 savinetworks

savinetworks

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:59 AM

I have an issue with my host fiole. In general, I cant search on Google or Yahoo. Bing searches are slow, but they work. I have tried to fix the host file but I am having no luck changing it.

I've run Malwarebytes, Spybot, smitfraud. Nothing can remove the virus.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Edited by elise025, 20 April 2010 - 12:32 PM.
Since no logs are posted, I am moving this to the Am I Infected forum ~ Elise

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:39 PM

What is your Operating system,XP,Vista???
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:47 PM

I have an issue with my host fiole. In general, I cant search on Google or Yahoo. Bing searches are slow, but they work. I have tried to fix the host file but I am having no luck changing it.

I've run Malwarebytes, Spybot, smitfraud. Nothing can remove the virus.

Any ideas?

Thanks

The method here is the same no matter the OS.

Reboot into Safe Mode with Networking. Click Start -> Run -> type "C:\%windir%\system32\drivers\etc" (without quotes) and press enter.

You will be brought to the HOSTS file's location. Double-click it to open it, and choose to Open With Notepad. If you are able to get the HOSTS file open, look below the "127.0.0.1 localhost" entry. In your case, you will probably find a ton of google.com redirects. You can try to manually delete them and just click "File -> Save", but if you are infected, it may not work.

If it will not open, or does not show up, then it is being hidden by a virus or the attributes are set to System, Read-only, and Hidden. At this point, since you are in Safe Mode with Networking, install and update Malwarebytes to remove any and all viruses.

Once you have run the scan, before you reboot, use Malwarebytes' File Assassin tool to force delete the HOSTS file in the location listed above. Upon reboot, your system will create a new HOSTS file.

That should stop the redirects. A browser reset is also recommended. You can look up the reset method for whichever browser you use by Googling it once you are able to Google again.

Edited by Eric ~ Computer Guy, 20 April 2010 - 01:54 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,949 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:17 PM

I have tried to fix the host file but I am having no luck changing it.

What specific steps did you take to do that?

Since the Hosts file is sometimes used and altered by malware, some security programs (like Spybot S&D, WinPatrol, ZoneAlarm Pro, etc) will lock the HOSTS file's read-only attributes as protection so it cannot be changed without your knowledge unless you disable that feature.

If using Vista, it's User Account Control (UAC) blocks access to the HOSTS file since itís a system file. To get around this you may have to turn off UAC - How to Disable UAC the Easy Way on Win 7 or Vista.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:19 PM

I have tried to fix the host file but I am having no luck changing it.

What specific steps did you take to do that?

Since the Hosts file is sometimes used and altered by malware, some security programs (like Spybot S&D, WinPatrol, ZoneAlarm Pro, etc) will lock the HOSTS file's read-only attributes as protection so it cannot be changed without your knowledge unless you disable that feature.

If using Vista, it's User Account Control (UAC) blocks access to the HOSTS file since itís a system file. To get around this you may have to turn off UAC - How to Disable UAC the Easy Way on Win 7 or Vista.

If the HOSTS file was already locked by Spybot, I don't really see why it would have been hijacked. Since the browser is redirecting, I would venture to say that Spybot wasn't protecting the HOSTS file in the first place.

...could be wrong, though

Edited by Eric ~ Computer Guy, 20 April 2010 - 02:20 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,949 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:29 PM

We don't know what steps the OP took or if in fact, the Hosts file has been altered by malware. It doesn't hurt to provide general information as to why one can encounter problems when working with a Hosts file.

#7 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:32 PM

We don't know what steps the OP took or if in fact, the Hosts file has been altered by malware. It doesn't hurt to provide general information as to why one can encounter problems when working with a Hosts file.

Agreed 100%. Didn't mean to sound contradictory, but I've personally seen this issue literally hundreds of times, and this is usually the cause.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,949 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:39 PM

Part of what makes BC stand out from other forum sites, is that we help to educate our members while providing assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users