Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Increase Internet Signal Strength

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Sploog321

Sploog321

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:47 AM

I have AT&T U-Verse. About 2 months ago my internet worked great. I would always h ave Very Good Connection with 54Mbps. However, After moving my computer across the hall, The connection has become highly unreliable as it will generally stay at low with 54Mbps and will randomly disconnect. Right now I have Good Connection with 48Mbps. I use the default USB Wireless Adapter they have given my and have even bought a new one. Why is this happening?

Mind you my computer is now physically closer to the router. I have already tried resting the router and the big black brick it came with and it still won't work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:21 PM

Wireless is a pain. You have to watch for things interfering with the signal.

Is the wireless just a thumb drive or does it have a USB cord?

Is there a cordless phone near the PC?

What about a florescent lamp? Even them lovely bulbs can do it.

If it was perfect in the old location and is crappy now, I'm betting its environmental over something wrong on the PC.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Sploog321

Sploog321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:05 PM

Well a month after I had moved it it worked great.

Is the wireless just a thumb drive or does it have a USB cord?
USB

Is there a cordless phone near the PC?
No

What about a florescent lamp? Even them lovely bulbs can do it.
Ceiling lights.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:30 PM

So it was ok then got crappy?

Get the latest drivers for the wireless dongle, uninstall it from Device manager, uninstall any software from Add/Remove programs. Reboot and install the new drivers.

What security you running? Firewalls and wireless security.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Sploog321

Sploog321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:31 AM

I use WIndows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials. Right now I get VG connection with 54Mbps. It just acts very strangely during the day.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:41 PM

Hmmm you could get a program called Netstumbler. What it will do, among other things, is show you what other wireless signals are out there. Perhaps someone's wireless is causing yours to mess up a little.

If you notice that it is messing up and there is a signal that is close to yours in channel, you can change your channel. And you'll be able to see what channel all the other signals are using so you can pick one that isn't close to someone.

#7 Sploog321

Sploog321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:38 AM

NS says there are 6 main, including mine, signals it detects. Some turn gray though. I don't know if this will help the situation, but my PS3 also receives signal from the same thing I do. Will that affect my computer's signal strength?

I don't get that last part you typed can go you further into detail?

Edited by Sploog321, 22 April 2010 - 09:02 AM.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:02 PM

The PS3 should not have an affect on the PC's ability to get a good signal or vice versa. As with anything connected to your network, they are all feeding from one "pipe" and there is only so much "pressure" to go around. So if you are downloading something on the PC and the PS3 is doing something demanding on its connection, they will both suffer a little.

When you were looking at NS, were there a few of the other wireless signals with the same channel as yours?

I do not know what equipment you have so I can't give you specifics but in your router's graphic interface, in the wireless section, there is normally a page with the wireless signal info. The SSID can be set, whether it is broadcast or not, what mode the router is in and normally there is also a place to set the channel your wireless uses. That is what I was referring to. If you notice that a few of the other wireless signals in your area are the same as yours, you can go in and change yours.

#9 Sploog321

Sploog321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:55 PM

It appears that my SSID is unique.

#10 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:14 PM

Its not your SSID, its the channel that is important.

#11 Sploog321

Sploog321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:20 PM

Yes I share 1 channel with 4 other signals. How do I go about changing my channel?

#12 Sploog321

Sploog321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:25 PM

Yes I share 1 channel with 4 other signals. How do I go about changing my channel?

#13 Sploog321

Sploog321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:36 PM

Yes there are 4 othewr sharing my channel. How do I go about changing my channel?

#14 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:40 AM

I do not know what equipment you have so I can't give you specifics but in your router's graphic interface, in the wireless section, there is normally a page with the wireless signal info. The SSID can be set, whether it is broadcast or not, what mode the router is in and normally there is also a place to set the channel your wireless uses. That is what I was referring to. If you notice that a few of the other wireless signals in your area are the same as yours, you can go in and change yours.

Set it to something that isn't common in the list on Netstumbler.

#15 Sploog321

Sploog321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:56 AM

How? >.>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users