Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No network

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Minnie7

Minnie7

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:02 AM

Hi, I recently had problems with my desktop computer and can not use it yet until it is fixed. So right now I am using my sisters laptop its OS is Windows XP Professional and I am trying to take it off domain and put it in a workgroup (it was a school computer before she received it was not taken off the domain it has Novell Client 4.91). She does not need it to be on a domain. The messege at the bottom says that the identification of this computer can not be changed because networking is not installed or not properly configured. Im not sure if I should just uninstall Novell Client or should i be doing something else. Any help will be welcomed!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:27 PM

Can you make any changes to the PC? Most times those types of PCs are locked down only allowing admins to make changes.

If that is the case the only thing you can do is format and install a fresh copy of the OS.

If that isn't the case, post and we'll go from there.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Minnie7

Minnie7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:39 PM

I cannot on the novell client because I dont have the Administrators password but, if I go into safe mode on the administrators windows account I can make changes there. This is why I asked if I were to remove the Novell Client off the computer would I then be able to change it that way. When you logon to the computer it does not show the Windows welcome screen it goes straight to Novell Client 4.91.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:45 PM

You should be able to goto Add/Remove programs and uninstall it. Have a look in the network connections for Novell stuff and uninstall it there too. It may not be there in Safe mode tho.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Minnie7

Minnie7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:05 PM

Ok, I have a couple of questions. First I know in Safe Mode you can not use the internet so should I do it in safe mode with networking. Would I still be able to access the internet that way. Second Novell Client right now is how I am able to get on the internet so, once its uninstalled would it bring up the Welcome screen where I can get on the Administrators account in normal mode not safe?

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:20 PM

If you look at the properties of the Ethernet connection, if TCP/IP is not there it needs to be. IPX/SPX is Novell's connection protocols, those should go away but if not uninstall them and install TCP/IP. You can do this right there on the same screen.

You can do Safe mode with and without networking. I'm not sure if in safe mode without TCP/IP installed if networking will work.

It should allow you to log into windows normally.

#7 Minnie7

Minnie7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:14 AM

OK I am still on the Novell Client and I logged on to Windows using Administrator instead of the NDS system. I was able to change it from domain to a workgroup. Is there anything else I need to do to get it off the domain.

Also right now im on a Aol connection with ethernet connection if I were to go ahead and change that would it show my network connection now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users