Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Tower DIY

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 defy

defy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:32 AM

Hello ladies and Gents!

I have the following tower:

http://usb.brando.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=00529

The above is just a bare bone skeleton.

SO my question is: How do i multiplex five hdds into one output?

I was thinking of this:

http://www.addonics.com/products/host_cont...ad4sr5hpmus.asp

But that's very pricey!

Would it be cheaper to use a mother board of some sort an some of these:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4660

So i know i need a power supply. I would like to run all of the HDDs of one power supply. A bit of soldering should sort that out :thumbsup:

SO any ideas will be welcome as i have already spent most of my budget on the tower i got about 60 euro left to play with :huh:

Regards
Denis M.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:05 PM

Assuming you have all the drives. You look to be on the right track. If you don't have the drives then you probably should have bought a NAS.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:25 AM

as far as PSUs go youd be better off with something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817341017 instead of doing any sodering. why do you want them all off the same channel if I ask? if your out of sata connectors on the board, couldnt you buy PCI to sata cards to give you more?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 defy

defy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:42 AM

Assuming you have all the drives. You look to be on the right track. If you don't have the drives then you probably should have bought a NAS.

you mean Network-attached storage?

as far as PSUs go youd be better off with something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817341017 instead of doing any sodering. why do you want them all off the same channel if I ask? if your out of sata connectors on the board, couldnt you buy PCI to sata cards to give you more?

Thank you for your assistance,

and here is some more info:

are you going to put this into the computer that you are using now.

No i want this to be a stand alone system with a single output like an external hard rive.

What are you trying to achieve?

At the moment i have a clutter of external hard drive being wire through a 10 port usb hub. It is very messy. I want to remove them from their cases (all passed warranty) and have them all in a single unit. As i am using usb 2.0 i am limited to 490 mb/s. If i want to use to drives at the same time the speed halves.

All i want is to build a tower with one plug and one data cable so i can access all the drives simultaneously without suffering a loss in transfer rate. i.e. an external hard drive. I still how ever want to see every volume.

I am trying to reduce space they occupy and create some kind of hot swappable system to prevent data loss. Since all the hdds are either 1 or 2 tb loosing one is loosing a lot of data!

do you have a small business?

No, but i wish i did tongue3.gif

home storage?

Yes. all of it is for home use only as this is a DIY project. Was looking at prebuilt machines which cost 300-1200 eu :S tahts a bit pricey! At the moment this is turning out to be about 290 eu sad3.gif I can do it for this much but id preffer not to waste my money smile2.gif

do you need redundancy

Preferably yes

are you trying to set up a less expensive server?

At the moment no but maybe in the future smile2.gif

if one drive fails do you want to be able to "hot-swap" them?

Preferably yes.

what size of storage capacity do you want?

In the end it should be 20 TB, at the moment it is only about 9 TB

is speed the most important factor?

Speed is important but not crucial. One of the major reasons i started doing this is because i want to get transfer rates up higher. And as mentioned previously if i ever do decide to set it up as server it would be nice to have the speeds already running fast.

give us as much info as possible.thanks

At the start i wanted the 20TB (10x2) to be recognized as a single volume. However if one of the drives failed the whole system failed. So that idea was scrapped straight away.

I don't particularly want to use a motherboard but at the moment this seems to be the cheapest option. As it stands i want a portable system so can pick it up and go. For example if you have 20 tbs of films etc pick up the unit(hdd tower) go to your friends and watch it. Like having a portioned 20 tb external hard drive except in this case it is physically split into 10 parts of 2 tbs.

If i am to use 3 of those:

http://www.addonics.com/products/host_cont...ad4sr5hpmus.asp

I could attach them to the side(power supply will be going on top or on the other side) or something and the unit will be portable with one out put (the two outputs from the first two hubs will go into third to produce a single output). Which can either be USB or SATA. This however brings the total cost of the project to 290 euro sad3.gif

I was hoping that some one here would be able to assist me with the mother board part as my knowledge of hard drives and mother boards i very limited (i know their operations and basic connections).

So i have the following questions:

Would it be cheaper to set something like this up with a motherboard?
Do they have special narrow ones so the tower would look slick (fitted on the side)?
Any other way i can do this without burning through cash (290 eu)?
How do i connect the hard drives?
How do i make it hot swappable?
Will this actually work?

All your thoughts and ideas are welcome! Please let me know if something remains unclear.

Regards,
Defy

Edited by defy, 21 April 2010 - 06:43 AM.

#5 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:22 AM

There are no motherboards to my knowledge that support that many sata ports.
If you are on that tight of a budget, what you are doing seems to be sufficient. The only alternative is for you to do as mentioned by the_patriot09 and get a cheap board and add sata controllers. But I don't think you are going to fit that in you enclosure.

#6 defy

defy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:09 AM

OK, excellent!

So just before i go buying,

Can some tell me if there is a cheaper version of these?

Here is a pic:

Posted Image

And what settings do i need it on it for the following configuration (4 PORT hubs):

PWS(All)
HDD1
HDD1
HDD1 HUB1
HDD1
HDD2 HUB2
HDD2
HDD2
HDD2 HUB3 (HUB1 and 2 are connected to 3 to produce a single out put)
HDD3
HDD3

Would the above configuration decrease speed?

Tank you all for your assistance!

Regards,
Defy

Edited by defy, 22 April 2010 - 03:10 AM.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:24 AM

would something like this work http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...4-028-_-Product

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 defy

defy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:14 AM

would something like this work http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...4-028-_-Product

Thanks mate, but in order to utilize this i need a mother board, i will not be using a mother board as it does not fit dimensionally.

Instead i was looking for something like the picture above, it is a stand alone sata hub if i am not mistaken.... Plug and play kind of job. Problem is it costs like 80 bucks :thumbsup: and i'm looking for a cheaper version if any one know one :huh:

Regards,
Defy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users