Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 VistaMan

VistaMan

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:06 AM

I just updated my Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver to the latest version 15.8.3 for Vista 32bit. Everything is working fine except for a small graphical problem when I'm using keyboard functions. When I press the keys to increase/decrease volume the little volume display that popped on the top left corner of my screen is white with dots. Same thing happened when pressing mute and increase/decrease brightness of screen.

Anyone knows how to fix this? Thanks in advance!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:36 PM

as compared to what?
what should it be i mean?

#3 VistaMan

VistaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:38 PM

Normally, when you increase or decrease volume you get the little volume display square screen that shows the bars and the volume number. Those have disapeared and now it's just a plain white squared with little dots of black, some blue, and some brown.

Edit: Yesterday, I decided to update all of my drivers and the bios too since my computer is over 3 years old and I've been having graphical problems. Everything got updated fine. I was a little scared before decided to flash the bios as I've read a lot of bios flash attempts that went wrong and resulting in a dead PC but I took the risk and flashed mine successfully. Now my PC is working much better, more responsive and faster than before but completely gone are the volume, mute, and brightness displays on screen when I adjust them. I don't get the popup display on the top left corner of the screen anymore.

My computer is a Gateway MT6840 with Mobile Intel 945 Express Family Chipset

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:44 AM

The one thing I have noticed about newer drivers/software update packages is certain features end up being excluded from the packages.

Now what our problem here is, we are trying to visualize over the forum, what you are describing.

My question is when this visual on-screen volume over-lay did work, what was it connected to in a GUI sense?

To clairfy...

Was it installed as part of the motherboard's chipset software?

Was it installed by your sound card software?

Was it installed by your keyboard software?

Or was it installed as part of your video driver software?

You mentioned Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver to the latest version 15.8.3 earlier so I am assuming it was embedded in your Graphics software package, am I correct?
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:30 AM

Yes that would indeed be the question.
What driver is that display linked to?
I have done a couple of Intel driver upgrades that have not had the hud you speak of.
I would presume a Logitech keyboard or the like.
I would reinstall that driver/software.

#6 VistaMan

VistaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:42 PM

The one thing I have noticed about newer drivers/software update packages is certain features end up being excluded from the packages.

Now what our problem here is, we are trying to visualize over the forum, what you are describing.

My question is when this visual on-screen volume over-lay did work, what was it connected to in a GUI sense?

To clairfy...

Was it installed as part of the motherboard's chipset software?

Was it installed by your sound card software?

Was it installed by your keyboard software?

Or was it installed as part of your video driver software?

You mentioned Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver to the latest version 15.8.3 earlier so I am assuming it was embedded in your Graphics software package, am I correct?

I have no idea what those volume/mute/brightness display indicators are connected to but since I can only bring them up when I'm adjusting the volume/brighness and mute using the "Fn" key and the corresponding volume, brightness, mute keys I am assuming it has something to do with the keyboard. I didn't update the keyboard driver though so I'm guessing it must be one of the other drivers updates that caused the problem.

Yes, the Intel Graphics Media Accellerator Driver came with my computer as the Mobile Intel 945 Chip, an intergrated graphics card in my computer requires it.

Edited by VistaMan, 25 April 2010 - 02:51 PM.

#7 VistaMan

VistaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:54 PM

Yes that would indeed be the question.
What driver is that display linked to?
I have done a couple of Intel driver upgrades that have not had the hud you speak of.
I would presume a Logitech keyboard or the like.
I would reinstall that driver/software.

I have no idea what the displays are linked to. The keyboard I'm using is built into my laptop and working properly so I dunno if it's a good idea to reinstall the driver just yet.

#8 Spudgun

Spudgun

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:17 AM

Hey guys.

I'm having EXACTLY the same problem as the OP.

I'm running a Gateway MT6825b laptop, and have the same white square with pixels appearing when I attempt to turn the volume up/down etc via the function buttons.

It has only worked when I originally bought the laptop (with Vista installed), with the drivers that the notebook came with (years old now). Although now, (be it in Vista or Windows 7, my current OS on here) no matter what version of the Intel GMA drivers I install, the white square issue is there. It's drove me mad for ages, and no-one ever seems to find a solution! Just thought I'd share my pain, hoping that somebody out there knows how to resolve this annoying (yet liveable) issue.

Kyle

[EDIT: I too am afraid of flashing the BIOS!]

Edited by Spudgun, 10 June 2010 - 08:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users