Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean install win 7 x64 only 3/4 gb usable ram issue (older cpu)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dovedescent7

dovedescent7

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:52 AM

System screen

Posted Image

The problem is that even though running win 7 x64 ,the properties only show (3gb ram usable) I want 4gb ram usable.

I putzed around google the last few days for answers.Not sure what to do.Did a clean install of win 7 x64 because my xp pro wasnt using the upgraded 4gb i installed,i believe it was showing two with the xp pro,not sure,i forgot...Anyways,i went to the system properties and unchecked and checked that max memory box and it did nothing.I looked in my bios and i do not see a remapping function.I am also not sure weather my graphix card is using up that 1 gb or not...My computer is a storebought acer from 2007.So its kindof crap-ish.

Model is AM1610-U1201A CORE 2 DUO E2140 + i upgraded from 1gb Ram to 4gb ram TOTAL

If i am not a TOTAL,COMPLETE noob,this should be the link to the specs to MY cpu :thumbsup:
link

Can someone please help me get my other gb back?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:04 AM

I do believe that that is the correct setting there. That computer has a integrated video card, which means that some of that memory is going to be used by the graphics. 1 gig seems a lil much, but the system may be using some of it as well, or it could be a setting. I know some integrated chipsets have a setting that changes how much memory is allocated to the graphics card, Im not completly sure if that one has that feature or not or how to change it, but im willing to bet it does. I will do some research into this, but I do believe the setting should be inside the BIOS somewhere.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 dovedescent7

dovedescent7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:09 AM

Thanks! I would SURE love to know that setting! lol

Btw i have not updated bios since the xp pro install (previous OS)........ I always get a lil nervous doing that......

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:48 AM

you might just have to poke around for it, im not finding anything, however, if it is indeed the graphics memory using that ram, your never going to get that full 1 gig back without buying a dedicated graphics card-the integrated chip has to have some memory to use, so even if it is adjustable you might get at most 75% of that 1 gig back.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 dovedescent7

dovedescent7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:04 PM

Well the graphics card is a Integrated SIS® Mirage™ 3 graphics..What that IS, i dont know..I am pretty much a hardware virgin when it comes to anything internal.Please help guys...How do i know if that UNUSED 1gb is being used by/ allocated to the card or not?What do i do?Im not even sure what to google or even look for at this point.....

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:38 PM

Ok did a little research, and it apperas I gave you bad advice, that 1 gig is not used by the video chipset, the integrated video only uses 256 meg. Here is a fix from microsoft custmer care center

There could be two possibilities with this issue.
1. May be the maximum memory is not enabled in the BIOS.
2. Maximum memory is not configured in advanced boot options.

BIOS.
You can check with your BIOS manufacturer, about how to enable the maximum memory.

Check the advanced boot options.
1. Go to Start, in the search bar type msconfig and press enter.
2. System Configuration window will open on the screen.
3. Click on tab named "boot".
4. Click on "Advanced Options" and uncheck the box for "Maximum Memory".

Hope that helps.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users