Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 24 September 2005 - 03:05 AM

Dear Whiz kids,

My son has a new P4 computer. It is actually still under warranty. The power supply has died. We will be taking it in for service in the next few days and having it replaced.

Meanwhile, he has no computer. But we do have a couple of older computers that we have been cannibalizing for parts. One is a PII the other a PIII. Can we simply use one of these power supplies in the new comp? What should we look for? Wattage? Voltage?

We have no clue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Constantine
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 24 September 2005 - 10:50 AM

First of all, you need to be very careful when working inside a computer to protect against static discharge. See ESD Protection for some tips.

Every power supply has a label indicating how many watts are outputted. If one of your other power supplys is similar in watts you can probably use one of those.

Having said that, if you open a computer that is under warranty you will usually void that warranty so its not really a good idea to make the switch.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:52 AM

You said it was a P4 right?

P4 Power Supplies are made specifically different than other power supplies, i.e.: PII and PIII. They have the regular 20-pin ATX connector and another 4-pin connector for an extra 12V, I believe. Hope this helps.

Also, since the computer is still under warranty, I'd sugest not messing with it yourself.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#4 Constantine

Constantine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 24 September 2005 - 05:07 PM

Dear responding whiz kids,

Thanks for that advice. It sounds sound:)

I will leave it alone and get it sorted under warranty.

Another problem resolved successfully!

Thanks

Constantine
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users