Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 Reinstall on New HD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:54 AM

Say my HD crashes and I have to reinstall Win7 (upgrade) on it. Would I be able to simply install Win7 without first installing WinXP?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bandaid1968

bandaid1968

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:29 AM

yes you will have to install xp first the upgrade disk requires that you have a previous operating system installed for an upgrade path once you have windows 7 installed just doubleclick on computer and double click on c drive and navagate to windows.old file right click and delete this will free up some harddrive space but make sure before you install windows 7 that you have atleast sevrice pack 2 installed on windows xp

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:26 AM

From what I've read...some users had to have the prior version installed...and some didn't (did clean installs from upgrade versions).

Since I used separate hard drives, I installed Win 7 on a separate drive, with the other drive/XP in place.

I would try it, if I had a second hard drive.

If you just want to get rid of the XP install...another alternative would be to clone the old drive to the new drive...do the Win 7 install...then use a partition manager to remove the XP partition and adjust the partition size, while using Easy BCD to then remove the XP data from the Win 7 boot files.

Louis

#4 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:54 PM

I hate to be cynical, but these responses have really just convoluted a simple process. What you guys are recommending would take much longer than actually installing Windows XP fresh and then starting the new installation from within Windows XP, which would prompt you to restart and move all files over to Windows.old.

The only reason one should try such complicated steps is if you do not have your Windows XP CD and/or product key any longer.

**Plus, the hard drive cloning wouldn't work in said-scenario, as the OP's conditions are "if my HD crashes", thus making HD Cloning impossible.

Edited by Eric ~ Computer Guy, 20 April 2010 - 12:55 PM.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:08 PM

Its convoluted to install XP on a system you have no intention of running XP on.

Here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402...-7-version.html

Edited by dpunisher, 20 April 2010 - 03:09 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:27 PM

Its convoluted to install XP on a system you have no intention of running XP on.

Here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402...-7-version.html

That'd work too :huh:

My issue is all of these workarounds take more time than installing XP then 7, since installing XP only requires the SP2 install and no drivers.

The fixes listed on the link you gave, though, work best and fastest :huh:

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:03 PM

I believe you have to have windows on the system somewhere. . . or at least have a windows disc on hand. doesnt really have to be on the disc your installing to it just has to see that its there. I installed a windows 7 upgrade on my brothers machine, and he had xp though it was on a seperate hard drive then the one we were using for 7. I do believe however, if you choose custom install you can install it clean without a previous version of windows on it-it may ask you however to put in your windows xp CD at some point to varify you have a previous version.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:57 AM

Good to know then, will just have my WinXP disk ready, just in case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users