Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Symantec Antivirus Auto-Protect

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 polaris6

polaris6

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 28 September 2004 - 08:53 PM

My NAV expired and I recently removed it in favor of SAV 9.0 Corporate Edition from the University. I d/led the *exe file and installed as per instructions. However, when I try to run the program, I get the following message,

"Symantec Antivirus Auto-Protect failed to load"

When I view the configuration, I see that the Auto-Protect feature is 'disabled' and whne I try to enable it, I get that message above again.

I have tried about everything to get this thing to work for me to no avail. I hae scanned the computer with Ad-Aware, Spybot, SAV9.0, TrendMicro, Panda and removed everything suspicious.

Any suggestions/help.

One other thing. Spybot signals me that it has blocked 174 processes. How can I view these processes to see if one might have been SAV?

Thanks.

george

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 29 September 2004 - 12:20 PM

Has this been resolved as per your previous post?

#3 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 29 September 2004 - 12:28 PM

No this has not been resolved. I have been struggling with it for a few days now with no luck in sight.

george

#4 uhthin

uhthin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 04 November 2004 - 12:30 PM

HAH! I got it :-) I had the exact same problem, down to the NAV expiration... Here's what I did:

In MSCONFIG there's a leftover file from NAV that's messing with your ability to run the Auto-Protection.

Under the Startup tab in MSCONFIG, turn off "ccApp." I also disabled VTTimer, but I dont' think that's the one causing the problem. The only file from Symantec you want running is "VPTray."

good luck, and I hope that helped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users