Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defender Pro 15-1?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 instacat

instacat

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:14 AM

December 2, 2009 I bought a new eMachines ET 1810-03R; Intel PDC E2210, 3GB; 320GB HD; DVD-RW; 6USB; with Windows 7 Premium Home Version, a 60-day Norton Internet Security 2009, with Norton online backup pre-installed. Also pre-installed were Adobe version 9 , Windows Office, Excel, Power Point, the numerous other free trial versions, ebay, netflix, and other junk files I don't use and don't want on my computer. (How do you REALLY get rid of all that junk?)
I made more than one restore disc before activating the Norton product. I had SO MANY problems with my old computer, and this is new, so I wanted reliable internet security. I had some problems while using the evaluation version of Norton; complete freezing, programs not working right, etc., so I decided on December 28, 2009, I wasn't satisfied enough to purchase the full Norton version, so I bought Defender Pro 2010 15-1, with the free version of mbam. As instructed, I uninstalled Norton, restarted, then installed and updated mbam and ran a scan. It detected: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Micosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer|Bad: (1) Good: (0)"
Installation instructions said to delete any infection found, then continue to install DP 15-1. I restarted the computer, then installed DP 15-1, updated, scanned, and did all the Windows updates, etc.
Things began to get real ugly with my computer, (more crashes, BSOD, etc.), and I would get pop-ups from DP 15-1: "DP has encountered a critical error and needs to close. We apologize for any inconvenience. To submit a bug report of this incident to our technical department, click submit." There was also the option to tell them what I was doing when this critical error occurred, and if I left my email address, they would update me regarding the results. Each time this happened, I submitted the report, with my email address and details, but never heard any results.
I was looking through the DP logs, and found that several times my real-time protection had been disabled, then about 30 minutes later reenabled. When I found this, there were 4 different days this had happened, so I called DP tech support. I was told that since I had Norton before, I needed to FIRST run the Norton uninstall tool, then use the DP 15-1 removal tool, (both were "completed," but with many "errors." Then I updated mbam, and ran another scan, and reinstalled DP. This happened so many times I lost count; but I have 3 activations for the DP license, and even though it is ONLY on ONE computer, I have had to contact them at least 4 times to give me additional activations because I had to do the restore process again. At some point, I found on the mbam user forum that the infection found on the very first scan was actually a false positive; and should not be deleted, but added to the ignore list. There were directions for how to delete the item from ignore list, then rescan, so I did.
There is still no explanation regarding how my real-time protection is still becoming disabled, then reenabled. I was doing factory restores every time I noticed this, to try to make sure I was doing it right and not missing something. My latest restoration was on April 16; and even though I have been updating, scanning, and checking my logs constantly, I just found that on April 17 the "real-time protection behavioral scanner was terminated", (not just disabled and reenabled). At the same time this was happening, more than once, I got a DP pop-up: "Your DP license is no longer valid, your computer is not protected." No explanation for that either.
I know something is not right here, DP barely updates at all anymore; when before there were multiple updates daily. The crashing and freezing up happens so often it makes me dizzy. I am going to look for new security software for my computer, (I'm leaning towards bitdefender).
Although I am not CERTAIN it is DP's fault, it sure feels that way. I have told DP tech support that at first there was the option to remove OR repair DP 2010 15-1; but that option is no longer available anywhere!
Also, I just noticed that on the email I was sent from DP tech support, the "DP removal tool" link I was directed to download and use, "http://defender-pro.com/apps/2009/BitDefender_Uninstall_Tool.exe," appears to be for the wrong product (am I wrong here?)
How can I find out exactly why this keeps happening? Instead of being the end of my old computer problems, the new computer has been more like a new chapter in worse problems because it's still NEW!
Thank you SO much for your help.
I'm sorry, but one more thing; I was just taking a close look at the DP logs, (expert mode). If you could tell me how to send you those logs, (all of them), from my latest factory restore April 17 to present, I probably could have made this post shorter!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 instacat

instacat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:26 AM

It's me again. After looking into the DP logs some more, I have decided to not wait; I am going to uninstall DP, and try the evaluation version of bitdefender Total Security 2010. There are just too many things going wrong. I have everything backed up, I am going to get the correct version of DP uninstall tool for MY product, and also mbam.
BBB had a rating on DP of D- (doesn't surprise me), and I found bitdefender to have an A- rating in comparison. Since I am not that knowledgeable about all the tech details here, I just want to know whatever company I buy the product from is going to stand behind it. An A- rating sounds much safer for me right now; and I figure, I have everything backed up, so what if I have to perform yet ANOTHER factory restore. I am tired of these problems. I just want things to WORK!
Again, thanks for your help. I still wonder about all the software that came pre-installed, and how to remove it for GOOD so that next factory restore I won't have to spend an hour uninstalling, and deleting files.
Your site is the BEST! :huh:
sincerely,

cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users