Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezes Upon Login/Virus Removal in Hidden Folder

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 derblutenkat

derblutenkat

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:54 AM

Sorry to post this in this Forum....having too many problems posting in the proper Forum...continues to say I am not a registered user although I am.

Recently, a friends computer got ransacked by viruses and spy-ware. While I have cleaned it up quite a bit (using Hijack This, Ad-Aware, Spy-bot, AVG, CW Shredder, A2, etc.) it still freezes after logging in. The computer will say it is loading the users settings after login but then will freeze after only the wallpaper has loaded, no start menu or desktop icons will load.

I have booted in safe mode and the same thing happens. I have run virus scans on the computer and have been successful in deleting many viruses but one is still lingering in a temporary Internet file that is "hidden". Because the start menu and desktop icons are not loading I have no way (that I know of) of changing the folder view (under the Tools menu selection of My Computer) to show all hidden files.

Does anyone know another method to show hidden folders? And has anyone else ran into the problem where their computer freezes after loading the wallpaper but not the start menu and desktop icons? I'd surely post my Hijack This log but it is on the other computer. If necessary I can transfer the file if suggestions seem to be limited based on the above information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 26 September 2005 - 02:14 AM

Try building the UBCD4Win this will give you full access to the hdd in question and allow you to scan all files/folders.

Please note that the current version has a few minor errors but the fixes can be got here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users