Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

40,000 ,tmp files per month

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:11 PM

Hi guys and gals.

Recently had to delete 0ver 550,000 .tmp files from Windows\TEMP folder for my friend. These were all generated between 29/12/09 and yesterdays date.

The O.S. is XP Home SP3 fully updated.

What on earth would cause this grevious and system threatening load of TEMP files. I know how to remove them, and have left an easy to understand set of instructions for my friend to be able to follow regularly as required.

But really want to snuff out the problem entirely

Cheers
A long suffering MS user

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:33 PM

I use CCleaner to automatically clean out temp files. But don't use the registry cleaner.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

#3 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:53 AM

The creation of so many .tmp files isn't normal, IMHO.

Perhaps there is an infection.

Did you investigate the contents of any of the .tmp files by opening in Notepad, or were the majority 0KB files.
If there is any info in the .tmp files, at least you will have some idea what program is creating them; could be
one program creating chunks of temp files.

FYI, I've just done a search for all .tmp files and there are only 6 on my computer and I am not in the
habit of running regular temp cleanup programs; only from IE8, after browsing and disk cleanup, from time to time.

I do look in Windows\Temp regularly, but there's little there other than the occasional Perflib_Perfdata.dat,
which I know relates to Java in my case.

I also have XP Home, SP3, updated.

Edited by petewills , 20 April 2010 - 04:59 AM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:41 PM

Does your friend leave his computer on all the time?

#5 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:54 PM

Thanks Frank. Will install CCleaner and use your advice.

Petewillis, thanks to you too, and yes I checked the contents, there were only ever about 5 files per month that totalled about 300Kb total out 40,00 files.

And Cryptodan, my friend doesn't leave it on. It is rearely used in fact.

But for a few weeks after rebuilding it, it was laying on it's side rather than standing up. Does this affect the way the hard drive work?
A long suffering MS user

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:46 AM

If he rebuilt the system and installed a lot of programs, that could be the cause of it. Often times when things are installed they make temp files and do not delete them at the end of the install.

I do not believe having it laying on its side woud be the cause of this.

I would just keep an eye on it and see if it continues before deeming there to be a problem.

Edited by Stang777, 21 April 2010 - 01:47 AM.

#7 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:21 PM

Thanks Stang. Having Downloaded, installed, and run CCleaner, the System is brilliant. I rebuilt the PC, but hadn't uninstalled anysoftware, as it was a case rebuild. So, just transfered motherboardand existing HDD into a new case with new PSU and new Video Card. Added some two new larger RAM modules too. Things seem to be working well now though. Thanks all :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:
A long suffering MS user

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:44 PM

You are welcome :thumbsup:

I am glad that the computer is running well now but I am sorry we could not clear up the mystery surrounding those files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users