Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I run install and run programs from a separate HDD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:07 PM

Q1. Is this possible and practicable

Q2. If so, will it make the system quicker?

Q3. What would you do with this configuraion of drives?

Orignal 80Gb 'Cuda. No partitions, currently using XP Home SP3

Extra HDD 250GB ' Cuda new, in three partitons, 1 system and 2 logical

External 1Tb WD USB 2.0 intended as active file storage between laptop and desktop.

Thanks
A long suffering MS user

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:54 PM

Yes, you can run program from a separate drive.
You can install program on a separate drive too (but settings, icons, shortcuts would be created on the system drive anyway).

1. Possible and practical.
2. It would leave more space on system drive. If your system partition is tiny it can make Windows sluggish. But in your case you have 80GB. So it is not going to make any difference.
3. It depends on personal choices. I would install Windows in 80GB drive and install programs on the same drive (80GB is big enough) and store music, videos, pictures, and other stuff on other drives. With so many drives at disposal I would install other operating systems too, making a multi-boot system.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:57 PM

Not sure what you are asking...programs can be installed to any existing partition, but the registry entries for said programs will always lie on the system partition (C:).

I don't see how it could possibly make the system quicker...but I'm not the smartest male in the world..nor even in the top 50% :thumbsup:.

As for the drives...I always like having the smallest drive in the system...being the drive that I install Windows on, particularly so when we have such large drives commonplace. I do this because it makes it easier/faster to do maintenance or antimalware/AV scans on a smaller partition...rather than wait all day for such to complete on a humongous drive which has only 1 partition.

The one thing that I would caution about using logical drives...users sometimes forget that...in order to expand preceding partitions, those logical partitions may have to be adjusted/eliminated before proceeding with any size adjustment desired.

Louis

#4 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:43 PM

Thanx for the feedback.

Does running programs from a separate HDD to the system drive allow quicker access times, rather than processed instruction time?
A long suffering MS user

#5 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:14 AM

If the programs were just on a separate partition on the same drive, i would say it would take longer to access the programs.
As the drives read heads would have to travel further.

But if they were on a completely seperate drive, that's an intresting question. Page file access is supposed to quicker if it's on a completely separate drive to the windows installation, so possibly it would be the same for programs. I don't know if it would be the case, but maybe it's worth a little experiment.

#6 tenz

tenz

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:51 AM

I would reccommend that you use the fastest drive as your system drive. While the smaller may make sense in some respects, if your using a slower drive for your windows install, the machine will run slower than if you were using the faster drive. The speed of the drive where the programs are installed is less important than that of the system drive.

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:28 AM

It depends on your hardware configuration. If you are using 2 EIDE drives on same cable then it would make it slower. If you are using 2 SATA drives then it can make a little difference. It also depends on RAM size, if you have multi-core CPU, motherboard data channels, and the hard disk data access speed.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:10 PM

Just as a side note, if your system drive crashes you will need to reinstall/repair all your software once you replace the system drive which can cause issues especially if they are updated. I would highly recommend keeping all your system files and other applications on the same drive.

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:00 PM

I would highly recommend keeping all your system files and other applications on the same drive.

I agree.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#10 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:26 PM

Ok to answer all. Two SATA HDD running IDE rather than RAID. Both are SATA I Seagate Cuda running 7200rpm and 150Mbs. (SATAI).

Will not make any changes, beyond storing saved files to the new drives as required.

Thanks all
A long suffering MS user

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users