Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Burner Will Only Write At 2x Now

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:38 PM

I have a Hp DVD 1170i burner. The original burner ran off PATA power, but when I replaced it I bought one that runs on SATA. I ran a SATA power wire to the mobo, and got a IDE to SATA converter to complete the installation. Everything went fine (didn't even need drivers). I've been using this setup for almost a year with absolutely no problems. I might also mention that I have used it to burn several thousand DVDs. About a week ago it started reading and writing discs at half the speed it normally does. Settings in all programs are set to burn at 4x, but all I can get is around 2x. The light on the disc tray used to blink intermittently but steady. Now the blink has a kind of stutter to it. Is this an early warning that the drive is about to crap out? I used Nero Drive Tool to run a test on the burner, and it confirmed that even though it's set to read at 16x and burn at 4x, it is reading and writing at 2-2.5x! Anyone know what might be goin' on? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:00 AM

The sad part about burner drives is their limited life span.

We fail to look at those lasers like we do a light bulb, they emit light and over time that light begins to fade just as a light bulb appears dimmer just before it blows.

Burner drives fail a lot sooner then a drive that just reads disks, because the lasers have to get hot enough to burn through to the heat sensitive layer under the disk surface, where a read-only drive only has to read that data.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 20 April 2010 - 02:02 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:17 AM

and got a IDE to SATA converter to complete the installation.

The fact it buned as long and as well as it did with an SATA/IDE converter is a minor miracle. That is one of the real "cross your fingers and pray" hardware items.

Edited by dpunisher, 20 April 2010 - 10:17 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:32 AM

The fact it buned as long and as well as it did with an SATA/IDE converter is a minor miracle. That is one of the real "cross your fingers and pray" hardware items.

Hmm? I totally agree with this statement, but that is why DVD burners are so low in price these days, I think back now to the first E-IDE DVD Burner I ever bought, cost me something like $350.00 US dollars back in 2001, now I can buy a much better drive than that one for under $50.00.

Wish that was the case with all current top of the line processors and memory though, seems like the new technology is always over priced or out of price range for the average consumer IMO. :thumbsup:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:07 AM

it is reading and writing at 2-2.5x

DMA status?

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=61905
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users