Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 - Antiviruses?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 autorunhell

autorunhell

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:15 PM

I just reformatted my PC, and I want to know: what's the most lightweight, strongest, best all around protection I can get for my PC? Money isn't an object, as long as I can have my PC's performance at an optimal level, while still being safe from viruses, spyware, and all that bad stuff.

Thanks!

Edit: Moved topic from Win 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bandaid1968

bandaid1968

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:39 AM

why pay good money when there are free av's out there microsoft has one which i use its called microsoft security essentials, avast ,avg free and ther quite a few more its just your preference but if you insist on spending money go to your local computer store and just browse around.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/?mkt=en-us
http://www.avast.com

http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage

Edited by bandaid1968, 20 April 2010 - 07:41 AM.

#3 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:50 PM

When money is no object, I have to highly dissuade you from using free solutions, unless you like to pay guys like me to clean up your system later.

In this case, I would go with Kaspersky Internet Security 2010. By far one of the best av/firewall programs I have ever used in my 9 years of professional experience.

They are one of the few remaining programs that also offer the Rescue CD, utilizing a lightweight, linux-based rescue CD that allows you to scan your PC without it being active, thus increasing the rate of removal if your PC becomes overwhelmed with viruses.

#4 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:46 PM

If you don't mind paying Eset smart security 4 is good has nod32anti virus which is light on resources used excellent detection rates with very few false positives which is always a plus and offers a rescue cd which can be updated.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#5 bwest0703

bwest0703

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:15 PM

I think Kaspersky is a great paid-for internet security suite. My free 6 mnth trial just ran-out about a month ago, so I moved to Panda's free AV. Panda's free cloud anti virus is lightweight, efficient, and in my opinion the best free AV available. It has won editor's choice from PC Mag, and is an ICSA certified anti virus. It connects with panda servers and analyzes files in real-time to provide quick detection of the newest viruses out there.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users