Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to access Windows95 boot hard drive in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 t0adman

t0adman

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:56 PM

Hey all...first time poster, long time reader.

I'm running Window 7 32-bit and I found the old boot drive from one of my first systems. I used DosBox to access the contents of the drive and it has the DBLSPACE.000 file on there (almost all the data on the disk is in that file). I'm wondering if there's a Window95 emulator program I can use that will allow me to virtually boot the drive and access the data. Or, is there an application that will allow me to access the data in the DBLSPACE.000 file? In short, I'd like to view and recover data off of this drive and right now it's a paperweight! Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bandaid1968

bandaid1968

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:34 AM

try ubuntu

#3 t0adman

t0adman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:39 AM

try ubuntu

Installing a new operating system just to see if it might allow me to access the old drive and, more specifically, the dblspace.000 file containing all the data I'm trying to recover, seems like a big effort without any level of confidence it might work. Do you happen to know it will work? That would make me feel a little better.

#4 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:03 PM

The .000 extension is a compression format used by MS-DOS. What you would need to do is make sure the drive is even readable in Windows (it should be as long as it uses FAT), and then find and use a program to de-compress the data.

#5 t0adman

t0adman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:29 PM

The .000 extension is a compression format used by MS-DOS. What you would need to do is make sure the drive is even readable in Windows (it should be as long as it uses FAT), and then find and use a program to de-compress the data.

Hahahahaa....thank you Dr. Obvious! :huh: I already knew all of that. What I really need to know is if anyone is aware of an a Win7 application that can read the .000 compressed file without me having to find a Win9x machine to put it in.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:21 PM

I think you will have to find a Win9x machine to open that file with.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:26 PM

try ubuntu

Installing a new operating system just to see if it might allow me to access the old drive and, more specifically, the dblspace.000 file containing all the data I'm trying to recover, seems like a big effort without any level of confidence it might work. Do you happen to know it will work? That would make me feel a little better.

Perhaps not; but there's always a virtual machine.

A quick Google search yields this: http://cmp.felk.cvut.cz/~pisa/dmsdos/ The bad news is that this kernel module isn't included with any ditro's vanilla kernel, and installing it might prove to be an exercise in geekery profundus. Nevertheless, installing a Linux distro in a virtual machine like VirtualBox costs nothing. You may or may not find the effort of learning enough about Linux to install it and the special kernel driver rewarding.

Edited by Andrew, 24 April 2010 - 12:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users