Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft debuts 'fix it' program

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:43 PM

Microsoft has launched "Fix It" software that keeps an eye on a PC and automatically repairs common faults.

The software basically adds the automatic diagnostics system in Windows 7 to older versions of Microsoft's operating system.

The software, currently available as a trial or beta version, is intended for users of Windows XP and Vista.

The package also tries to anticipate how security updates will affect a PC before they are installed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8629331.stm

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:17 AM

How does it relate to the "Microsoft Fixit Center?"

As you can see by this link (which is merely the first thing I clicked on from the previous link) you have to install and run the "diagnostic."

Will now running that diagnostic automatically give MS another back door into your system?

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:07 AM

Hmmm? Very good information to know.

Thank you for sharing this with us Budapest! :thumbsup:

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:45 AM

Hi -
This seems to work very well on my XP - I clicked on each item and it repaired ?? 2 of them -
Looks Good - :thumbsup:

#5 tjwh

tjwh

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:55 PM

Hi -
This seems to work very well on my XP - I clicked on each item and it repaired ?? 2 of them -
Looks Good - :thumbsup:

How many errors did it find?

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:57 PM

I assume, this would be correct link to the tool?
http://fixitcenter.support.microsoft.com/Portal/
Let's see...
I'm going to be a guinea pig.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:01 PM

Hahaha....typical

I clicked on "Try it" button. It downloaded a small file "FixitCenter_Run.exe"
Double clicked on it and this is what I got:

Posted Image

Does it mean, the tool is going to fix itself LATER??

Ehhhh....

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#8 Net_Surfer

Net_Surfer

• Banned
  • 2,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:54 PM

Hi Broni,

I download it last night and used on my xp computer and bingo! it took care of a lot of issues I had on it. And since I am helping a guy that have some software problems after the cleaning of a infection I desired to make a canned so I can direct him to use it here is my canned speech:

Please visit the links HERE and HERE first to read about this new Microsoft tool!

Then you can download and use: Posted Image Microsoft Fix it Center Online
Microsoft Fix it Center Client contains troubleshooters that help detect issues on target PCs and solve them on demand or proactively before you even know they exist!
It finds and fixes many common PC and device problems automatically. It also helps prevent new problems by proactively checking for known issues and installing updates. Fix it Center helps to consolidate the many steps of diagnosing and repairing a problem into an automated tool that does the work for you.

Microsoft Fix it Center makes getting support easier than ever, with tools that help solve the issues you have now and prevent new ones.
  • Easy to Install and Run: Easy-to-use wizards will guide you through the set-up process and help you anytime you need support.
  • Automated: With automated troubleshooters, Fix it Center helps solve issues with your PC, even if you're not sure what the exact problem is. Fix It Center scans your device to diagnose and repair problems, then gives you the option to "Find and fix" or to "Find and report.
  • Preventive Care: By helping you find and fix issues before they become real problems, Fix it Center helps keep your PC running smoothly and automatically downloading the latest solutions.
Let me know after you had run all the troubleshooters on your pc if it corrected your problem.

Kind regards
Net_Surfer

Posted Image

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• Topic Starter

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:56 PM

It's still in Beta at the moment so be careful.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:58 PM

Unfortunately, after re-downloading the file, when I try it, it gives me very same error.
Tried to "Run As Administrator". Same thing.

My Website

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• Topic Starter

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:06 AM

What OS do you have Broni?

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:06 AM

I can see, I'm not alone.
Plenty of hits with very same error: http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&...q=&gs_rfai=
For now, I'll blame it on "beta", but I won't hold my breath.

My Website

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:08 AM

Oh, I'm on Vista, but if you check my Google link, all variety of Windows are involved.

Edited by Broni, 22 April 2010 - 12:08 AM.

My Website

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:10 AM

I've noticed, MS did setup a forum for "Fix It": http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/fixi...lter=unanswered

My Website

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• Topic Starter

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:15 AM

The article I read suggested it was only for XP and Vista. But I've read elsewhere that it is also for Win7.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users