Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Basic networking question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Funky Cloud

Funky Cloud

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 23 September 2005 - 11:09 PM

Hello everyone.

Someone gave me an old computer that I would like to make into a Linux box, if only so I can familiarize myself with it.

My main computer runs Win 2000, and this old one is currently is running Win 95...

But the problem is, its CD ROM doesn't work, and it isn't capable of Ethernet. It does have a telephone/fax modem installed however.

My question is, would I be able to remove Win 95 from it, install an old phone modem I've got into my main computer (its only got Ethernet right now), download a version of Linux from the main computer over my DSL, and then install it to the old computer over the RJ11?

I suppose i could just go ahead and try it and find out, but any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 24 September 2005 - 01:55 PM

i would get another cd rom, for the price you will pay, like 30$ canadian for a new one and like 15$ for used, you will find there will be many times in the future you will be wanting the use of one. or, burn the linux version on a cd, then put the cd rom in the old tower
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Funky Cloud

Funky Cloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 02:13 PM

That was my original plan, to just replace the broken cd rom, but the way this older computer (Compaq Presario 166MHz) is built, I'm having trouble removing it. Its one of those old flat kind; not a tower.

I was able to remove the HD and completely unplug the cd rom, but its somehow bolted down in a weird way that I can't get at.

I guess I can try again, but I think I might have to take EVERYTHING apart to get to it.

Which might actually be fun, now that i think about it. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip!

Edited by Funky Cloud, 24 September 2005 - 04:44 PM.

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:26 PM

LOL have fun! remember, spare parts ARE ok too!
Google...Google.....browse..read

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 24 September 2005 - 08:16 PM

Used CDroms are $5 (there about) at used computer stores. Used NICs are about the same. Try one of the live linux flavors. DSL (Damn Small Linux) or Puppy linux are nice at a mere 50 mb and run from a cd.Puppy installs in a windows partition so you won't even have to remove '95. If you don't live the live verison just delete the file it creates. They come with several programs.
DSL (Damn Small Linux)
Puppy Linux (My Favorite)
Knoppix Linux
SLAX Linux
Feather Light Linux

Edited by acklan, 24 September 2005 - 08:17 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Funky Cloud

Funky Cloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 07:15 PM

Thanks guys, sorry if my networking question has turned into more of a hardware/Linux problem... :thumbsup:

The only thing wrong with the cd rom is that it just continuously opens and closes...very annoying!

I found out last night that I can only connect to it with the "V" on my KVM switch because it can't handle my newer keyboard and mouse; that's going to make it much more difficult for me to work on it... :flowers:

Anyway; I tried to put a ver of Linux that fits on a floppy on it last night, but I had troubles...so I definitely need to replace the cd rom so I can use a live-cd...so tonight I'm going to completely take it apart to try to get that puppy outta there and pop a new one in...

Might be easier to just use the live-cd on my main computer though and junk that old one!

Thanks again for the help and interest, I'll keep you updated!

Edited by Funky Cloud, 25 September 2005 - 07:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users