Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I fax from a PC? Is a PC the best option?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy James

Jeremy James

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:18 PM

I am soon going to be needing to be faxing a 1-3 page document to about 20-50 numbers every evening. Is there a program that will do that? If so, how many numbers can I put in it at one time?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:04 PM

You can use AsterFax which an open source software. http://sourceforge.net/projects/asterfax/

This is Java based software, so you have to install Java first.

After installing Asterfax, open your email client (Outlook Express, Thunderbird etc) and in the To field type phonenumber@fax.local. Send the email - it will send fax to the number. If you want to send the fax to many telephone numbers, just add more numbers in same format separated by comma. You can also add more numbers in CC or BCC field.

Read more : http://asterfax.sourceforge.net/AsterFax%20userguide.html

#3 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:40 PM

Can one computer be connected to Fax and also be online through a High Speed connection too? For some reason, I thought that a computer could only use a Network connection OR a Modem connection at the same time.

Also, does a program exist where I could remotely connect to this PC and make changes to this document before it's faxed out nightly?

Thanks.

Jeremy

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:58 PM

Modem when used for fax does not connect to anything (no network connection or dialup internet connection). It just keeps listening to the line. If it gets a fax it receives the document over the telephone call. A fax is like a telephone call, only instead of someone's voice you get data.

So you can connect your PC to telephone line via modem and set up PC to receive/send fax; and use high speed internet at the same time.

To connect to your PC, would be like accessing your files over the internet. If you are using Windows XP and later, then you can use Remote Desktop to remotely log in to your computer. Here is how : http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/m...emoteintro.mspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users