Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No I/O recognition after boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Keilo

Keilo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:58 PM

I would like to apologize for any incorrect formatting or forum etiquette as this is one of the few times I have ever visited this forum. I would also like to thank all in advance for even taking the time to read my predicament. I am truly grateful.

My computer has recently been crashing after performing minor tasks alone such as Pandora on Firefox or Microsoft Word 2007. No clue as to why it crashes but when it did, it would go into a weird loop of about 2 seconds worth of sound that was playing right before the crash and continue to loop it until I powered down manually. All other input was unresponsive (cursor, keyboard). These crashes would happen at different times with respect to boot time - that is: after i booted it and did several things it would crash but not always right after boot. Sometimes the crash would occur hours after my computer was on. I frequently left my computer on for days on end and not in hibernate or sleep mode because my video driver and vista combination prevented successful hibernation/sleep. I mention this because perhaps this is a factor (i dont know). I also recently acquired a virus that i thought i removed correctly - av.exe or the total vista security virus thing. I used AVG to remove the threat as well as a system restore to a previous date. After the cleanup, my comp ran as good as it always did. However, i ran an AVG scan a few days ago and an infection came up but i cant remember the name or type of infection to well. All i can recall is the words Hardware and Dialer being mentioned. Upon removal of the selected infection (moved to vault as a power user) the computer ran fine until one final crash. Again the looping sound and manual power down. Problem now is that upon powering up my computer, my keyboard is recognized (i think this is the case - the caps lock, scroll lock, and number lock lights all light up at the same time for a brief second) and then immediately isn't. My monitor knows that it is plugged in but the "no display" message shows and the monitor idles. After this brief recognition of I/O (i hope I'm right about this being I/O) there is no more indication of ability to communicate with my computer. All of the fans are working as i power up but none of the I/O is responsive. What should I do? Is my computer salvageable or should i look into buying a new one? I tried Google searching my dilemma but something this specific is hard to find. I read of vaguely similar cases where the only solution was to buy a new MOBO. Please help me fix this mess! Thank you for bearing with me through all of this and thank you in advance for any and all help.

tl;dr: multiple crashes (no BSOD), virus acquired and removed, system restore to previous date, infection found via AVG and moved to vault as power user, final crash, power up results in no I/O recognition, many hours of me crying in the public computer lounge.

quick edit: I am (was) running Vista 32bit, 2x 2.4 amd athlon (i think), 3gb ram
any other specs necessary let me know as i have to try and remember them. Thanks again!

Edited by Andrew, 20 April 2010 - 03:30 PM.
Mod Edit: Moved To AII - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:47 PM

Let me see if I understand the present situation:

You can turn the power on, but the computer won't boot in normal or safe modes. Is that correct?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users