Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 and xp....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dr.jose

dr.jose

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:52 PM

Hai everybody... I am definitly in trouble.. I ve been using my laptop with Win XP. I was fascinated with Win 7 & and loaded win 7 along with xp since i was doubtful about win 7. But now as i am fully satisfied with win 7 I want to format the partition with xp and I want to use that space.. But when I try to format that partition from windows 7 the message comes as "Windows could not complete the format" I dont know why this happens.. Somehow or other I want to retriev my disk space... Please help me in this regard...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:02 PM

Migrate to Windows 7 from an XP dual-boot configuration :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 autorunhell

autorunhell

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:25 PM

Pop in your Windows 7 OS Disk and when it gives you your partitions [where you'd like to install], click your Windows XP partition and delete it. It'll come up as unallocated space. Force reboot your PC [hold down the power button] and make sure to boot to your HD. Take out the disk and you're all set.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:46 PM

Well...I guess I'd like to see a shot from Disk Management...to see what we are dealing with as far as drives/partitions.

Then I would decide how to get rid of what.

Logical and hidden partitions may present items for consideration, IMO.

Louis

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:08 PM

Pop in your Windows 7 OS Disk and when it gives you your partitions [where you'd like to install], click your Windows XP partition and delete it. It'll come up as unallocated space. Force reboot your PC [hold down the power button] and make sure to boot to your HD. Take out the disk and you're all set.

No, you can't do that. The bootloader from XP (boot.ini) will disappear and the computer will not boot. You have to write a bootloader to the Windows 7 partition. That's what is explained in the tutorial I linked earlier. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users