Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DSL Connection ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:12 PM

I am getting blamed for Computer problems here, I have a land line dial up connection, in the garage workshop, but in the house there are 2 PC's that use DSL, wireless, connection, . .
today I was out and was told when I returned they were having problems with connecting to the internet, I thought I disconnected my ISP, before I left, whether or not I am told when they turned my PC off, they were able to access the internet immediately, . . .

anyone know anything about this, . . am I to blame ??

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:20 PM

If you have DSL you might need a filter on the phone line in your workshop.

Most DSL carriers also give you access to a dial-up account in case you are away from home and need to access your email or something. Are you using that account or you have your own separate dial-up account that has nothing to do with your DSL? I ask that because if its the DSL account's dial-up, they may only give you one account log in and if you are using it the DSL can't log in.

Its probably the filter tho.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 19 April 2010 - 03:21 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:58 PM

The DSL service is something I never use, only those in the house use it, but as stated it

appears that since there is only one dial-up line for the home, and I am using it, there somehow is

a use connection that involves the DSL, . . I have a filter on the line, is there a chance it could be

bad or the wrong one ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:43 PM

Did you get a DSL "kit" and use those filters? As long as you installed them correctly then its cool. Altho they do go bad sometimes.

You didn't really answer my question about the dial-up. Who is your dial-up ISP? Is it the same as your DSL?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:09 PM

Sorry about that question I guess I missed it, but thanks for your help, . .

No, my ISP is someone totally different.

the filter is a 2 wire dsl filter for two line phones, although I don't know what a two line phone is ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:55 PM

Is this your filter? looking at that picture, the phone cord from your PC should be plugged into the Phone socket.

And is it your PC is just on or you are online that is the issue? Because you said you didn't remember if you signed off or not but when they shut your PC down it worked.

#7 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:33 PM

Yes that is what I have my line from the computer connected to as it is then connected to a connector box which is attached to the lead line that goes to the outside box, . . .

she said I was on line and that she noticed that I had quite a few tabs listed on my browser, I was on line tonight and she had no problems but my browser was not on line.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users