Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Format My Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Debbie Doobner

Debbie Doobner

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:08 AM

My computer just started getting the BSOD a couple days ago and it'd come up nearly every time I'd restart.
Then nearly all my games, that I was always able to play, started telling me that I don't have DirectX.

I tried to reformat my hard drive, and after I booted up for the first time after installing the Windows updates, I got a BSOD telling me
"DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and something about "NVSTOR.SYS."
I was never able to get back to the desktop after that screen and I couldn't even boot in Safe Mode.

So I did a search and read something about Vista automatically updating the Nvidia drivers can cause that kind of screen.

I reformatted again and installed all my updates besides the Nvidia ones; but before I restarted I also installed the newest driver for my graphics card that I just got from the Nvidia website.
I couldn't even finish installing the driver before I got a new, special BSOD.

Now my monitor just goes black after the bios screen. I tried to format again, but I can only get to the first part of the installation disk. It won't even load the part where I type in my product key, it just sits at "Please Wait" for hours.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OS - Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit
Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory - 4GB DDR2
Graphics Card - GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition

Edited by Debbie Doobner, 19 April 2010 - 11:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:20 PM

It should boot into safe mode just fine. You will want to press F8 just after the BIOS Post screen.

#3 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:27 PM

Did your OS come pre-patched with SP1 or do you have to add it after you boot?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:29 PM

Also just an FYI NVSTOR.sys is the chipset drivers. Not video card. Also what motherboard do you have?

#5 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:13 PM

Also pre SP1 Vista 64 will NOT boot up on a clean install with more than one stick of RAM. You have to take all but 1 stick out, boot the computer and install SP1 and THEN add the other stick or sticks (depending on whether or not you have 2x2 GB's or 1X4 GB's to give you your 4 GB's of RAM. I'm not 100% sure but I'm about 83.6% sure that the problem was not addressed in SP1 either. I know it isn't a problem after SP2.

#6 Debbie Doobner

Debbie Doobner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:23 PM

It should boot into safe mode just fine. You will want to press F8 just after the BIOS Post screen.

How can I boot into safe mode? Back when my computer was able to go past the bios post screen, it gave me the option to boot from safe mode, but all that happened was a list of names came rolling down my screen, then it just stopped and sat there for about an hour.

Now when I try to boot from my hard drive by pressing the F8 key, I get "Bootmgr is missing". My install disk is still in.

Did your OS come pre-patched with SP1 or do you have to add it after you boot?

I have to add SP1 after I boot.

Also just an FYI NVSTOR.sys is the chipset drivers. Not video card. Also what motherboard do you have?

Asus P5N-E SLI

Also pre SP1 Vista 64 will NOT boot up on a clean install with more than one stick of RAM. You have to take all but 1 stick out, boot the computer and install SP1 and THEN add the other stick or sticks (depending on whether or not you have 2x2 GB's or 1X4 GB's to give you your 4 GB's of RAM. I'm not 100% sure but I'm about 83.6% sure that the problem was not addressed in SP1 either. I know it isn't a problem after SP2.

My RAM is 2x2, PC5300 DDR2-667.
Is it possible to just remove one? I've been able to clean install many times before without any problems.

Right now, I just really want to get a glimpse of my magical format button again. At least I can watch the loading bars move and maybe get to see my desktop for a few hours while it tries to update.
My install disk is still just stuck at "Please Wait."

Is there a way I can force it to work for me? :huh:
Would resetting CMOS do anything?

Thanks for all the help. Please continue to ooze your knowledge upon my thread.

#7 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:38 PM

Yes, you can take one stick out. How about your ram voltage? Is it set high enough? What happens if you take the install disc OUT of DVD player? Didn't you say you were booting with it in?

If you take your disc out and reboot try to get into BIOS. Make sure your boot order is correct.

#8 Debbie Doobner

Debbie Doobner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:53 PM

I'm not familiar my ram voltage. How do I check if it's high enough?
I tried booting with and without the install disk.

What would be the correct boot order?

Mine's
1. Hard Disk
2. CDROM
3. CDROM
4. Disabled

#9 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:59 PM

You should move your Hard drive below your CD Rom. What's happening now is you turn your computer on and it looks at your hard drive. It finds something and tries to boot but errors out. It's never going to your CD.

When your CD is first it looks for a bootable disc in the CD and THEN the hard drive. Change the boot order so CD is first, put your installation disk back in and reboot. You should now see your Installation disc.

BEFORE you do a reformat and a reboot, have your CD do a chkdsk (check disk, it checks your harddrive for errors and tries to fix them) and then try a repair installation. Let me know what happens.

Edited by DeathStalker, 19 April 2010 - 08:00 PM.

#10 Debbie Doobner

Debbie Doobner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:08 PM

It was on CD, but I thought it should start from hard drive, so I just changed it before responding to you. lol
I'll change it back, do a check disk and repair installation. Before I do that, should I take out one of my RAMs?

I tried repairing before and left it on for about six hours. Got tired of waiting for it and turned it off.
When is an acceptable time to figure it's doing nothing?

edit - I was always able to get into my install disk. I can go past the first page that asks for country and language, but if I click "Install" on the page after that, it just stays at "Please Wait."

Thanks

Edited by Debbie Doobner, 19 April 2010 - 08:18 PM.

#11 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:36 PM

Sorry for the delay, I got summoned by She Who Must Be Obeyed...........

Yes take out 1 stick of RAM. No one could ever tell me WHY Vista with no service packs would only install with 1 stick in, but that's how it was. When I built this computer, I stuck all 8GB's in and went crazy when it did the same thing as yours did.

As far as "how long" I don't have a definitive answer. Yes 6 hours is excessive but i don't know what the "short' time is. I've had them hang 30 timed minutes and then zoom through and finish. I've left them going all night while i slept and then half the day while I did something else to see if it would finally break through. It never did.

LOL I use the same time limit as I saw in a kids cookbokk years ago as to how long they should put the pudding in the refrigerator. It said, "As long as you can stand it." I usually try to find something else to do for an hour or so and if it hasn't gone, I redo it.

NOTE: Right now, I'm trying to get you booted, installed and patched with SP1 and Sp2. This almost certainly won't fix your BSOD during games. We can address that after we get you up and running. I know it sucks especially when you got this thing to game, I'm a big time gamer myself. LOL I gotta kill some electrons every day, whether it's single player or online servers........... I think I hear a COD WAW server calling me right now.......... or is that BC2?

As far as your RAM voltage is concerned, if you never changed anything and it was running before, then don't mess with it. Is this a pre-built machine, IE; a Dell or Acer, ect.......?

#12 Debbie Doobner

Debbie Doobner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:02 PM

I tried to run a memory diagnostic before I plucked out the stick, it asked me to restart, and I pressed the restart key, but nothing was happening for a while, so I just turned off my computer and plucked out one of the sticks.
I turned it back on, the memory diagnostic started running, and I tried to escape it, it didn't move, so I turned off my computer and started it up again.

When it started up , it started beeping like it just lost it's life support, so I stuck the stick back in and it's heart rate improved.

Was the beep because I interrupted it's diagnostic or because I plucked out a stick?

Thanks for all your help.
If you give me your BC2 username, I'll show some mercy upon you. lol
I'm Peregrin. :huh:

Edited by Debbie Doobner, 19 April 2010 - 11:03 PM.

#13 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:33 PM

I'm DeathStalker lol. Or DeathStlkr I mean. The one with the vowels all in it wasn't allowed. You would HAVE to show me mercy in BC2. I've only played it 2 or 3 times. I haven't warmed to it. I'll hand you your arse in COD though (any of them except MW2, I didn't get that one). I've mainly played on the DiG servers but I prefer the ones with friendly fire penalties.........

But back to business. Yeah it starting bleeping because the last thing you told it to do was run a Memory check. It will continue to do so until it finishes the task. once it finishes shut down and then take the extra stick out and do the rest I told you above.

#14 Debbie Doobner

Debbie Doobner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:34 AM

Edited by Debbie Doobner, 20 April 2010 - 12:58 AM.

#15 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:19 AM

Oh No DD. What happened? A "dot" doesn't tell us much. I know it can be frustrating, but with a little patience, it can be solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users