Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

renewing an ip

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Beenthere

Beenthere

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:35 AM

Hi

I have a wireless router ASUS WL-520GC. My ISP sets me up with dynamic IP. So far, for getting a new IP I have been unplugging and plugging back the cable of the router and that did the job. Now I need another way for renewing my IP. For some reason, the cmd ipconfing/release ipconfig/renew doesn't work. Is there some other way? Changing something in the router?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:16 PM

You want the modem to get a new IP address? or you want your PC to get a new IP address?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Beenthere

Beenthere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:36 PM

my Pc

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:54 PM

First, why do you want to renew your address manually?

But ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew is how you renew your IP address in a DHCP environment.

type ipconfig /all and post what you see on the screen.

The manual is at the bottom of this page.

If you have a modem connected to the router and your PC is connected to the router, your router is giving your PC its IP address not the ISP.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Beenthere

Beenthere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:35 PM

Let's just say I wanna do it software-wise, without touching the hardware.
A DHCP is set on the router.
Posted Image

Yes I have a modem connected to the router and my PC is connected to the router and the router gives the IP to the PC.

I guess I expressed myself wrong in the firs post, I just wanted to mention that I have dynamic IP since some of the ISPs around here give only static IP addresses.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:32 AM

In a DHCP environment there is no way to guarantee that you'll get a different IP, you could get the same one for ever or it could change the next time it is renewed.

You can set it statically on your PC. This will have no effect on the router or modem's ability to function properly. You just want to make it a good bit higher than what your router would assign. Since your IP is 192.168.1.2 you could set it to .20 and be safe that nothing will be assigned the same IP address.

You'd have to do it manually unless someone has mad a program to increment IP addresses upon boot up. Which you never know they might have lol.

#7 Beenthere

Beenthere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:47 PM

I'm afraid we don't have an understanding here.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:22 PM

Then explain what it is you are trying to do. Changing the IP will accomplish something for you, what is that?

There are 2 IP addresses involved here. The one from your ISP that is given to your modem and then is passed to your router. And the IP address the router gives you.

Again in a DHCP environment(or Dynamic IP) there is no way to guarantee you'll get a new IP from either your ISP or your router.

#9 Beenthere

Beenthere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:49 AM

Changing the IP will accomplish something for you, what is that?

Downloading without waiting for a period of time. Like rapidshare for example.

Anyways, I have found what I was looking for. In my router configuration there's this

With pressing disconnect and then pressing connect I get a new IP.
Thanks for your time.

P.S. I had troubles finding this cuz it didn't occur to me that it would be located under Status & Log

#10 swagger

swagger

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:49 PM

He wanted a new public IP, not private :| Good try anyway CaveDweller

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:00 PM

I asked him that, he answered badly. lol oh well

#12 Beenthere

Beenthere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:06 PM

yeah u asked me private or public.. with the invisible characters :D

#13 swagger

swagger

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:42 PM

He asked if you wanted to change the modem's IP or the computer's IP. I guess he assumed you knew the modem's IP would be public and the computer's IP would be private. Oh well, you are squared away now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users