Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wrong Default Icons for word docs displayed Explorer search

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:11 AM

W2K sp4 on Sony GXR 600

Occasionally the files listed in explorer after a search do not match the icons assigned to the file type in Folder Options. I don't know what exactly to call this behavior, so searches for info haven't been successful.

I have the default icons assigned to word, pdf and notepad file types in Folder Options, yet as you can see by attached jpg, the word docs and pdf doc listed display other icons [the icons assigned to My Network Places on the Desktop and notepad via Folder Options]. On another search the word docs displayed the icon assigned to spywareblaster on the desktop. [I've changed my Desktop icons for My Network Places and spywareblaster using Properties to .ico files in a folder in My Pictures. ]

Any ideas as to what causes this?

Attached Files

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:06 AM

That picture, it shows that a .PDF file with a notepad icon.
Word .DOC shows up as what? I dont know that icon.
And workbook show sup as Word icon.

File Type Association possibly messed with?

Have you tried right clicking and going to properties and seeing what it says next to Opens With:

Attached Files

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:41 PM

Sorry if I wasn't clear s1lents0ul

The mismatched icons have only shown up when I do a search for files. In accessing files thru explorer word docs have the usual word icon. I checked Folder Poptions > File Types tab and the usual word icon is associated w/ .doc and the usual pdf icon w/ pdf. I didn't think to right click and see what was listed by open with. If I simply click open the file opens in the appropriate program.

The icons I use for My Network Places and Spywareblaster are .ico files from Icon Factory and the like. I've used them for years on various computers. I use right click file > Properties > Change Icon button to change from the default icon - not an always running customize desktop program. For some reason when I do a file search sometimes [it doesn't happen w/ every search] explorer, or whatever .exe or .dll is in charge of file searches, substitutes an icon for a program's shortcut for the icons assigned via folder options when displaying the list of found files.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#4 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:21 AM

OK.

You use a program to create customized icons for things?

not an always running customize desktop program

If the files open with the appropiate program, and the problem is random in certain searches only, then perhaps its because that program you use that isnt allways running, is causing the difference in your searches. When its running, maybe things work like it should, when its not, the searches show your posted problem. It could be the opposite, im not sure ive never used a custum icon program before.

Perhaps run a search with the program running, see the reults, then do one with it not running, then compare the results. Post back when you have done this.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#5 lehua768

lehua768

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:36 AM

That picture, it shows that a .PDF file with a notepad icon.
Word .DOC shows up as what? I dont know that icon.
And workbook show sup as Word icon.

#6 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:05 PM

Thanks s1lents0ul & lehua768

No, I don't use a program to manage my icons, but I've read about them so I thought I should mention that I'm only using Word2K's Change Icon feature in the shortcut's Properties to change the icon for the shortcut. There's no 3rd party program running related to icons or desktop customization when I do the searches [or at any other time].

I am using icon files [.ico] downloaded from Icon Factory and other places that I've used for years on different computers. So those ico files stand alone [in a folder in My Pictures] rather than being inside a dll or exe file. Word files' default file type icon got replaced by a stand alone downloaded icon I assigned to My Network Places and pdf files' default file type icon got replaced by windows' icon for notepad, which is probably in the notepad exe file. But when I checked Folder Options > File Types tab the usual default icons were still assigned.

I have no idea why win2k would occasionally take an icon assigned to a shortcut and use it as if it was the icon assigned to that file type rather than the icon actually assigned to the file type.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#7 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:10 AM

Im Sorry then, i dont either :thumbsup:
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:44 PM

Can you take a screenshot of the file types for the Word Documents and PDF's?

#9 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:36 PM

Hopefully I've attached screen shots of the icons assigned to word docs & pdf files thru Folder Options > File Types tab. These are the usual, default icons assigned to Word and pdf files as listed in explorer or in searches and I've never changed them. I do change desktop and some shortcut icons.

At the time that I suddenly got a listing of word docs w/ the icon assigned to My Network Places and pdf files w/ notepad's assigned icon there was no evidence of memory problems - no messages, freezes and my total and peak commit charges were w/in my physical memory limits.

Attached Files

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users