Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What graphics card for my computer?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MatthewC2510

MatthewC2510

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:00 AM

I have an old computer which i just installed some new 1GB RAM on but i wanted to know if anyone could recommend a suitable graphics card. I wanted to play a game like Crysis. I know my PC has a PCI E card slot.

Computer i have is a Compaq Presario 2019UK AMD 3500+ (2.2ghz) 2GB Ram

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:25 AM

it depends on how much you want to play, also how much Total ram do you have now the recommended ram for Crysis especially is 4GB or more. a good graphics for that is an nVidia 8800gt. but thats about just minimum for Crysis.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 MatthewC2510

MatthewC2510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:31 PM

I'd probably look around the 80 for a card. I have been searching on google and i might need a new Power supply unit as well? I think its 300 watts. I currently have 2GB Ram installed, my processor is 2.2ghz and i have a spare PCI-E x16 slot. I dont know where to look or what to buy. I played some of the crysis demo but the frame rate and graphics are not all that at low settings. :thumbsup:

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:36 PM

yes You will need a 500 watt at minimum but i would go for 700 watt just incase also Newegg.com is a great place for everything electronic and computer related so i would go there and look around! any other questions just ask and i will be happy to help. :thumbsup:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#5 MatthewC2510

MatthewC2510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:06 AM

I was looking at a Gigabyte GV-R465OC-1GI Radeon HD 4650 Graphics Card (1GB, ATX, DVI-I) which i believe is 400w psu minimum which will require me to get a new PSU, im thinking of around a 500 watt psu. How would i know if my computer can handle a 500 watt psu what would i need to look for? i know i would need to check if it would fit my computer but would a 2.2 ghz computer run ok with a higher psu?

#6 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:59 AM

I wouldn't spend that kind of money on that computer. No matter what you do, it will never play Crysis decently. You have a single core AMD processor that only runs at 2.2 Ghz's, The minimum required is a 2.8 for XP and a 3.2 for Vista. Cryisis Specs.

To be honest, your computer is not really worth the cost of the parts you are looking to put in it. You can get a low end Dell Duo core machine for $399. You could build a much better one for the same price if you built it yourself. The fact that you are willing to swap out power supplies and GPU's means you CAN build your own.

If you can't afford to build or buy a computer with at least a duo core processor, you REALLY can't afford to throw what money you have at an obsolete computer.

I used Dell as a reference point just because I had to use someone lol. You can find something similar on Compaq's site I'm sure.

EDIT: I hit reply to soon: If you don't have the money right now for a new system, you would do better just gritting your teeth and dealing with what you have until you can save up some more cash to get a new system rather than spending another dime on the one you have. I know it sucks, I've been in that position, but it is what it is. They went from those 2.x GB single core processors up to 3.8 almost over night and then they went to the Duo cores without even catching their breaths. I got a 3.2 Pentium4 and within 2 years it was barely at the minimum specs to play games. If your computer is at the mins, don't even buy the game. It will "play" it, but not in a way anyone would want to play.

EDIT II: If you go to the computer building and upgrade thread and ask about building a budget gaming rig good enough to play Cryis, DJBPACE07 will give you some great advise. He really knows his hardware and keeps current on the prices. He will shoqw you how to get the best performance for the least amount of money. Building a computer is really no harder than switching out a video card and GPU, you CAN do it.

Edited by DeathStalker, 24 April 2010 - 08:17 AM.

#7 MatthewC2510

MatthewC2510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for the reply. I will look into building a new computer. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users