Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cold boot problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sickwidit213

sickwidit213

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:53 AM

Hi, i recently put together a new computer, and i am having trouble getting video from a cold boot. It seems if i take the memory out and boot up without it, then shut it off and put in back in and start again... it will get it to boot up with video correctly sometimes. Im not sure on what it could be that causes it to not have video and not boot up correctly. The system gets power and everything turns on except the video it looks like.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:10 AM

is there any error messages or any thing that says somethings wrong you also said that if you take the ram out and such and put it back in it works you should probably do a memtest--> You might have bad RAM.

***** A. If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-....iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-....iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-....iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Run at least 3 passes.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:47 AM

Pertinent information?

Motherboard manufacturer and model?

Ram amount, manufacturer and type? How many modules?

Onboard video or installed card?

Power supply data?

Have you checked Event Viewer for errors that might provide clues?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users