Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti spy attack

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 paulegt

paulegt

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:21 PM

Please help.
I have just had my screen go black with the writing.
Warning!

Your computer might be infected with spyware or adaware

then it also says click here to get the latest spyware removal tool.

What virus have i caught?

Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:25 PM

Looks like you've been hijacked.
I suggest you post a HijackThis log for examination.

Read How to post a HijackThis Log.
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully.

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 paulegt

paulegt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:35 PM

i think i have that phoney anti-spyware software installed. I can't change the display settings and keep getting ads from phoney spyware companies. came up first with microsoft security centre one

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:39 PM

If you can post a HJT log, a member of the HijackThis Team will show you, step by step, how to disinfect your computer.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 paulegt

paulegt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 08:06 PM

Thanks, i have posted 1 of those logs. hope it sorts it

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 23 September 2005 - 09:48 PM

Do those adds have an address showing, like http://regfix.com, or something similar?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 paulegt

paulegt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 03:01 AM

yeah, spyblocker was one i think. its about 4 different anti spy software companies.

#8 paulegt

paulegt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 03:26 AM

PSGUARD.exe is also found and its program. Whenever i go online to google it comes up with www.updatecenter.com

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 24 September 2005 - 03:33 AM

Try this, it worked for me. :thumbsup:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...e/stopspam.mspx

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 paulegt

paulegt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 03:50 AM

I tried that but to no avail. I literally have a black background and a warning that i have spyware on my pc. PC GUARD website comes up when you click on internet as well as UPDATECENTER.com . Screen flickers every few seconds too.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:09 AM

paulegt, what you are describing is an infection related to Trojan-Spy.HTML.Smitfraud. This infection is responsible for changing the Windows Desktop and using bogus warnings in an attempt to trick users into purchasing one of several fake antispyware program. Smitfraud is also responsible for making numerous changes to your system's registry. It is often installed by an adware program, detected as CWS.YEXE, which is downloaded while accessing several adult sites or pirated software sites.

You are in good hands over at the Hijackthis forum. Just be PATIENT and wait for someone to provide you with the proper instructions. If you start doing things on your own or following the wrong advice, you can make things more difficult for the experts who are trying to help.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users