Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

backing up my computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rabbitwhite

rabbitwhite

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:06 PM

Hi, I'm trying to back up my Sony laptop in preperation for sending it away to tech support across the country - even though it's only for cosmetic repairs they warned me they still might format it!! Even when I ASKED them not to!! Anyway i wanted to do this as quickly and simply as possible, but nothing is making it easy.

Ok, so I used Windows XP Backup to create a huge image of my hard disk. This file is called backup.bkf and it is 32GB in size.

Now comes the question ... WHERE do I put this 32 GB file??? All I have is a CD-RW drive. CD-R's seem like a dumb way to do this ... i estimated that it would take 40+ of them to hold it! I don't even know if i have that many...

Someone give me a better solution ... please?

Edited by rabbitwhite, 23 September 2005 - 06:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 23 September 2005 - 10:24 PM

Kinda hard findin that reverse gere? :thumbsup:

Another way to go would be to change the CD for a DVD, this will give you about 4GB storage space. Too bad the "Blue Ray" isn't in production yet, you could almost put it all on one disk.

You could also look into an external hdd, you could use it as a backup for the laptop hdd.

Edited by dc3, 23 September 2005 - 10:28 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rabbitwhite

rabbitwhite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 09:34 PM

thanks, my dad let me back it up onto his external hdd and i have to say now that this is the way to go. backed up all 30 gigs in about 2 hours, not bad.

wish i had one of my own now... for security purposes... (>.<)

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 07:11 AM

Are you backing up the op system and all the program files as well as data?

You might just want to try an imaging file like Ghost Image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users