Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mo_

Mo_

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:20 PM

I would like to backup some of my files on my computer to an external hard drive. Is extra software necessary? Or can I just move the files I would like to backup to the ext. HDD. My pc has also been recently cleaned and has no infections, so now would be an ideal time for me to backup some of the files on my HD.

Thanks, Mo

sorry if that was confusing but just want to backup some of my files not all of them

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:25 PM

There are different ways to do this.

But the simple way is just to copy and paste the files you want to backup to the external drive.

No additional software is required.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Mo_

Mo_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:34 PM

is this recommended if I am only moving a selection of files?

#4 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:44 PM

that's fine if you just need to back up documents, pics and music, you wouldn't be able to back up your software like office, office docs yes but not the program itself. You can make an image of your hard drive and make a complete back up of the entire system, then if something disastrous happens to your windows or even your hard drive, you can restore the entire operating system to the state it was when you imaged the drive

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:45 PM

It is the method I use.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 Mo_

Mo_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:53 PM

k thats good then - I am not really looking to back up programs and if I need to I have saved alot of installer files, so thanks alot I will just copy and paste the,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users