Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Cuts Out Periodically

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Wata

Wata

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:19 PM

Problem
My internet cuts out sometimes. Also note that shutting off the router or the modem does NOT fix the issue. I have to wait about 4 minutes to anywhere up to a couple hours in order for the issue to be fixed. I'm guessing its a cable wiring issue and here is why:

Setup
I use a splitter to split my cable TV and internet connection; and I am guessing this is the issue that causes the internet to cut out. However, this is how the 'cable-guy' had set up the wiring.

Also note that I am still connected to my wireless network when the internet cuts out, so its not an issue with the router. Additionally, I contacted rogers support, and they said my modem appears to be online; so I'm guessing its the splitter.

Oh and turning off the TV appears to help.

Questin
Should I get a cable amplifier? Do I need a dedicated line? How can I fix this issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:02 PM

The first thing to check is to log into your router while the signal is "out" and see if it shows a connection, and a valid IP address, on the WAN port. If the address starts with 169.254.x.x and yet the port shows connected your lease has expired. The "Internet" light on the front of the router may go yellow (on some routers) when it loses the lease.

Some of the equipment used by cable companies is notoriously bad at handling DHCP requests, and if your lease times out your connection is kaput. The router will try to renew it's lease when it's half way through it's duration, so if it loses it entirely you can bet it's been trying for a while without success. Netgear and some other "house brand" routers seem to have particular difficulty getting a valid lease, at least from our cable company locally (Charter). I've done in-depth troubleshooting and presented them with a full write-up with traces and analysis of the issue (it's what I do, professionally, but this was for a friend who is also my bookkeeper and couldn't maintain a connection long enough to pay my bills). As far as I can tell they just trashed the document, and we ended up getting another router (we tried three before one worked) to make it work.

If this isn't it, look at the upstream router (Gateway) address on your router while it's working. Then try to ping or traceroute it when it is not working. That will tell you if the fault is local or wider based. Let us know what you find.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users