Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP won't detect my speakers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 StumpedinTN

StumpedinTN

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:24 PM

Ok, here's the lowdown...

Windows XP Home SP2.

Gateway 830GM desktop computer.

Creative I-trigue 2.1 3300 speakers.

I had to reinstall my OS and now it won't detect my speakers. In fact, it won't detect any speakers at all.

I am at a loss. Usually I can fix any problem, but this one has me stumped.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:38 PM

Have you installed your audio drivers, and i would recommend updating to SP3.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:28 PM

I guess I don't know what you mean...AFAIK, Windows doesn't detect the output devices attached to components, it detects the functional component (either a sound chip or a sound card).

Any problem with output from said device (sound chip or sound card) has two suspects (at least)...the chip/card and the speakers themselves.

If no sound output occurs, then I would examine each for functionality...a different sound device for the speakers, while using speakers or headphones to test output from the chip/card.

All of this is assuming that the audio drivers are installed properly and necessary services are working.

Louis

Try the XP/Windows Sound Troubleshooter?

Edited by hamluis, 18 April 2010 - 07:29 PM.

#4 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:18 PM

I guess I don't know what you mean...AFAIK, Windows doesn't detect the output devices attached to components, it detects the functional component (either a sound chip or a sound card).

Any problem with output from said device (sound chip or sound card) has two suspects (at least)...the chip/card and the speakers themselves.

If no sound output occurs, then I would examine each for functionality...a different sound device for the speakers, while using speakers or headphones to test output from the chip/card.

All of this is assuming that the audio drivers are installed properly and necessary services are working.

Louis

Try the XP/Windows Sound Troubleshooter?

Actually, some software/driver packs DO detect speakers when they are input. Realtek has the HD Control Panel that does this.

To the original point, do you have your sound card driver installed properly in your Device Manager? It would be without a yellow question or a red X.

#5 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:48 PM

Double check that the Speakers are not set to Muted?

Double click on the Speaker icon in your Task bar down the bottom, right hand side. Check to see if it is not set to Muted. If it is uncheck it. Then Post back.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:28 PM

Get and install the sound drivers from here

Also make sure your speapers are plugged into the lime green jack.
You will not get sound if they are plugged into any other jack
In the beginning there was the command line.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users