Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

stuck on black screen with cursor after loading screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 iSayChris

iSayChris

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:20 PM

hi, i recently had a virus on my computer. did numerous scans and did a restore that made my computer go into a continously restart loop on bootup. ive managed to fixed that with couple recovery console commands and finally did a windows xp pair with the disk. had some problems installing some drivers. after the installation repair was finished, computer rebooted, but then the screen would be stuck on a black screen with a cursor in the middle after the windows logo with loading bar. the login screen doesnt show? ive tried numerous ideas from ctl alt delete, and shift + f10. ive hit shift 5 times, and i heard a noise, but nothing pops up for sticky keys. ive booted in safe mode, and it shows all the files loading then it gets stuck with the black screen with the "windows professional" thing on the top and bottom with the cursor. im guessing it has to do with the video card driver? i need help. thanks.

oh and im running on windows xp professional, thanks

edit:

okay so i decided to do the xp repair again to see if it would fix it and did shift + f10 to bring up command prompt and typed sysdm.cpl to see what drivers were missing.
there was a yellow explation mark on the following:
+Display adapters
- Video controller (VGA compatible)
+Modems
- PCI modem
+Network
- Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
+ Sound, video and game controllers
- Multimedia audio controller
+ System devices
- Microsoft System Management BIOS Driver
+ Universal Serial Vus controllers
- SiS PCI to USB enhanced Host Controller

note: when i right click proporties and update driver then click on "install from a list or specific location" then click on "dont search, i will choose the driver to install", it lists 2 drives. model Sis 650_651_740 and SiS 650_651_M650_740

the problem is, i couldnt install or update the drivers because i dont have the disks.
how can i install these drivers? would i have to go to on another computer, download all the needed drivers and load em into another disk, then locate the file on the disk when needed for installation ? so right now, ima stay put at the xp setup screen with drives selection.

Edited by iSayChris, 18 April 2010 - 07:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:36 PM

Does it boot in safe mode?

#3 iSayChris

iSayChris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:45 PM

oh, yes it does boot in safe mode, but still has the same problem, the login screen doesnt show. just has the black background with the windows xp thingy on top and bottom with cursor

Edited by iSayChris, 18 April 2010 - 06:46 PM.

#4 iSayChris

iSayChris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:10 PM

okay so i decided to do the xp repair again to see if it would fix it and did shift + f10 to bring up command prompt and typed sysdm.cpl to see what drivers were missing.
there was a yellow explation mark on the following:
+Display adapters
- Video controller (VGA compatible)
+Modems
- PCI modem
+Network
- Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
+ Sound, video and game controllers
- Multimedia audio controller
+ System devices
- Microsoft System Management BIOS Driver
+ Universal Serial Vus controllers
- SiS PCI to USB enhanced Host Controller

note: when i right click proporties and update driver then click on "install from a list or specific location" then click on "dont search, i will choose the driver to install", it lists 2 drives. model Sis 650_651_740 and SiS 650_651_M650_740

the problem is, i couldnt install or update the drivers because i dont have the disks.
how can i install these drivers? would i have to go to on another computer, download all the needed drivers and load em into another disk, then locate the file on the disk when needed for installation ? so right now, ima stay put at the xp setup screen with drives selection.

Edited by iSayChris, 18 April 2010 - 07:24 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:16 PM

Sooo...in essence, the system has never functioned properly since your attempts to resolve your malware problems?

System manufacturer and model?

If custom/self-built...motherboard manufacturer and model?

Minus the driver install issue...what anomalies exist right now?

Do programs installed work properly?

Do functions like regedit, command prompt, etc. work properly?

Louis

#6 iSayChris

iSayChris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:22 PM

Sooo...in essence, the system has never functioned properly since your attempts to resolve your malware problems?

System manufacturer and model?

If custom/self-built...motherboard manufacturer and model?

Minus the driver install issue...what anomalies exist right now?

Do programs installed work properly?

Do functions like regedit, command prompt, etc. work properly?

Louis

yes, that is correct.
System is a Sony VAIO, Model PCV - 7762
id say this computer is like 4-5 years old.
nothing strange is happening right now, just need to install some drivers.
command prompt works by doing shift f10, and yes regedit works.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:12 PM

I found this while googling:

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-list.pl?...Type=Everything

#8 iSayChris

iSayChris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:28 AM

thanks for the help guys but, my dad just reformatted the computer. didnt really have anything important on it :/.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users