Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Incorrect RAM readings

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ericthehammer

ericthehammer

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 23 September 2005 - 03:49 PM

I just came from a linux distro, and I've had 4 gigs of ram for some time. Last night I installed windows xp pro, and when I go to control panel and in system, it says I have 2.74 gigs of ram. I went into the bleepingcomputer irc channel and somebody suggested getting a program called Everest to diag my hardware. And it also said 2.74. I've tested all the sticks and all the slots.
I'm quite confused because linux could always read all 4 gigs. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 10:17 PM

What is the make and model number of your motherboard?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 ericthehammer

ericthehammer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 11:10 PM

its an intel 915gav for p4s

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 05:31 AM

I found your Motherboard manual here. According to page 18:

System resources (such as PCI and PCI Express) require physical memory address locations that reduce available memory addresses above 3 GB. This may result in less than 4 GB of memory being available to the operating system and applications.

So it looks like your video or some other device may be limiting your available ram. No idea why this doesn't occur with Linux though.

By the way ericthehammer, welcome to BC. Wish we had a more satisfactory answer for you.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 ericthehammer

ericthehammer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 10:09 PM

Yes I also read that, but my video card has its own 128 MB.

#6 ericthehammer

ericthehammer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:48 PM

Scratch that. 256 MB on my card. Also, BIOS is reading all 4 chips just fine. :/

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 05:11 AM

Well, based on what your manual says, there is a reason Windows doesn't see the full 4GB, and it obviously has something to do with the motherboard architecture.

This Microsoft KB, How to set performance options in Windows XP, will help you tweak your system to get the best out of it.

I can understand your frustration at having the 1.26GB unavailable but are you doing anything that really requires that much Ram?

#8 ericthehammer

ericthehammer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 10:08 PM

Well I did pay 100 for each stick and I'd like to have something to show for it :/

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:38 AM

Seems like a new motherboard is in order then. If you do go that route you need to make sure what you have now (Ram, CPU, etc) is compatible obviously.

#10 ericthehammer

ericthehammer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:51 AM

the mobo I have now is compatible. If it wasn't, it wouldn't all be showing up in bios.

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:20 AM

Well, it is and it isn't. It shows in Bios, and thats fine, but whats really important is can the OS use it? Unless you go back to Linux, then thats what you have to live with.

I've never seen another Mobo do that.

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,214 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2005 - 12:31 PM

When I wanted to expand form 2 to 4 gig ram on my XP pro. I consulted with the Ram guy at Corsair and I belive he said XP can only recognize 2 gig

http://www.corsairmemory.com/
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users