Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost wireless connection

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 atapp21

atapp21

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:59 PM

Now this is strange I don't know what happen but I seem to have lost my wireless connection on my Laptop. I have a HP Pavilion dv6748us with vista os. I open my computer to do some work but noticed it was taking an unusual amount of time to wake up. So I then tried to log off, still that took a long time. I then decided to shut down the computer. When I restarted my computer I noticed my wireless connections was lost. My computer won't even list the wireless networks in the area. The next thing I did was disable and enable my network adapter, no luck. My last attempt was to uninstall my HP wireless assistance and re install it to my computer, still no luck. Now I don't know what to do. I think it might be my network adapter but I don't know how to check it. Please some guidance and instruction is needed here. :thumbsup:
Yours Truly,
Tapdiggity

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:31 PM

I am assuming that you can get online with the laptop by plugging in an Ethernet cable? Go to HP and get the latest drivers and/or software for the wireless card.

Open Device manager, click the + beside Network Adapters, right click your wireless card listed in there and click Uninstall. Go to Add/Remove programs( or whatever Vista calls it ) and uninstall all things that have to do with your wireless. Reboot your laptop. Install the latest drivers and/or software. See if that solves your issue.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 atapp21

atapp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:50 PM

Cave Dweller2,

You are correct I can still get online with an ethernet connection. Now once I uninstall my Network adapter will I still be able to get online with my ethernet connection. I was about to do it but then I got scared when I seen the warning message stating that the adapter and all associated programs would be unistalled. So I just wanted to be clear of your suggestion before I do this. :thumbsup:
Yours Truly,
Tapdiggity

#4 atapp21

atapp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:29 AM

Cave dweller2,

I went to follow your instructions on uninstalling my network adapter but instead I ended up reformatting my computer and doing full re install. Now that this has been done I notice that my wireless adapter is still not responding. What next, please advise.
Yours Truly,
Tapdiggity

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:48 AM

Umm ok. Not sure how my instructions could have been misunderstood to a point of reinstalling the OS.

Uninstalling the wireless card is not going to affect the Ethernet connection.

Does your laptop have a wireless button?

Here is a manual on the wireless in your laptop. The section Using the wireless controls is where I'd start.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 atapp21

atapp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:16 PM

Cave Dweller2,

It wasn't your instructions that led me down that dreaded path but rather my tickering and some distractions by my kids. Never the less, it still didn't fix my problem. Yes I do have a switch on my laptop for my wireless connection and right now the light stays amber rather on or off. Also I noticed in the device manager in the network adapter area that I don't see any wireless device. Should I see a wireless device in that section as well as my nvidia nForce network controller ?
Yours Truly,
Tapdiggity

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:12 PM

Yes you should see a wireless connection.

In Device Manager, are there any yellow ! or ? should be listed under Other devices

#8 atapp21

atapp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:57 PM

Cave Dweller2,

I think we are narrowing it down now. In the device manager or the windows mobile utility, I do not see the wireless device or the HP wireless assistant. I figured that I need to download the drivers since these items are not being recognized but my problem here of the drivers listed I don't know which one I should choose. I see them listed on the HP support website. Please advice.
Yours Truly,
Tapdiggity

#9 atapp21

atapp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:25 PM

Cave dweller2,

Do you think it could be a hardware problem? Could my wireless device just have stopped working? How can I check for this? Please advice.
Yours Truly,
Tapdiggity

#10 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:34 PM

In Device Manager, are there any yellow ! or ? should be listed under Other devices

#11 atapp21

atapp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:47 PM

Cave Dweller2,

Negative there are no yellow ! or ?. There is neither no WLAN listed. The only thing listed in the Device manager under network adapter is the nvidia nForce network controller. I took the wireless device out of my computer and put it back in, hoping it would somehow reset itself and start working. No such luck.
Yours Truly,
Tapdiggity

#12 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:03 PM

Well that certainly changes things. If you physically removed the wireless card and put it back in and windows didn't notice then either the card is bad or the port. I'd get a new wireless "device". I say device rather than card because you could get whichever kind you'd like. I like USB but you could get any kind you'd like. Including another wireless card to replace the bad one.

#13 atapp21

atapp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:33 AM

Cave dweller2,

Well thanks for your attempts in solving this problem. So can I go to any store like Best buy or Staples and buy a new wireless device or, like most thing, do I need to find a compatible item for my computer?
Yours Truly,
Tapdiggity

#14 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:26 PM

Sorry been busy the last 2 days =\

If you want to replace the internal wireless then Newegg would be where I would go. If you are looking for an external wireless then yes either of those stores will have one. Take it with you if you aren't going USB.

#15 atapp21

atapp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:03 PM

Thanks CaveDweller2 I just went ahead and got a USB type wireless device. It now works fine. Thanks for your help.
Yours Truly,
Tapdiggity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users