Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Wiped Out

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 noonytunes

• Members
  • 660 posts
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 28 September 2004 - 05:41 PM

:thumbsup: Hi! Yesterday I removed IE from add/remove programs because I wanted to get rid of Yahoo controlling it...and because I couldn't get logged into .NET through IE. I had spybot search and destroy, and because of making a wrong choice clicking on a dialogue box from there I couldn't access Windows or desktop. I had to use application recovery...so, now I'm starting from basics. What I want to know...is...where do I start with updates. Would I have to update SP1 before updating to SP2? I got rid of spybot search and destroy...I know it is recommended, but I went through H-E double toothpicks over this yesterday. Anyway, Windows XP Home edition was on the computer...and its an HP. :flowers:
Thanks, nancylouisehite

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 28 September 2004 - 10:50 PM

I suggest you visit the Windows update site and let it scan & tell you what you need. Since the updates are cumulative you should only need to install SP2 I think.
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#3 Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,431 posts
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 28 September 2004 - 11:09 PM

Just go to www.windowsupdate.com and start downloading the critical updates and rebooting and going back till there are no more.

Make sure you turn on the firewall first!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users