Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CAN YOU SUGGEST GOOD FILE RECOVERY SOFTWARE

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 desperateforhelp

desperateforhelp

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:37 PM

I posted yesterday regarding what I thought might be the autorun.inf virus. Sadly I didn't get any response, but given that there is no sign of autorun on the corrupted external drive, I have come to the conclusion that the drive may no longer be infected, but I need to somehow reconstruct the folders.

I have 205 GB of used space showing in properties but I can't see any of it. Can anyone please suggest a safe and reliable prog to rebuild the folders and file system and help me see my files again? Happy to pay for it. Have run everthing you can think of on the drive - malwarebytes, avg, kaspersky etc. No nasties reported but no files either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:40 PM

I have had success with this one:

http://www.piriform.com/recuva
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 desperateforhelp

desperateforhelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:00 AM

Fantastic - many thanks. I will let you know how I get on.

Edited by desperateforhelp, 19 April 2010 - 03:52 PM.

#4 desperateforhelp

desperateforhelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:52 PM

OK here's the report. I ran two recovery progs - one called EaseUS DRW and the other recuva (which you recommended). I have to say that EaseUS was amazing and recovered almost all of the missing 205GB. The demo prog allows you to see what can be recovered and only then pay if you wish to proceed and restore the damaged or hidden files.

Recuva on the other hand was unable to see much of the damaged drive and the choice of files available for recovery were very limited. To be fair, this may have been due to the settings (I had opted for a deep scan) but suprisingly it only took half an hour or so.

Verdict - if you need your files, pay the $60 odd and go with EaseUS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users