Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Poor performance and faulty command prompt

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 anaxerxes

anaxerxes

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:06 PM

I have recently formatted my hard disk and installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64. It has been functioning perfectly well for about two weeks until about three days ago, at which point it started to hang every 10 minutes or so for about 30 seconds. This especially seems to happen when I have Firefox open, or when I try to open the command prompt.

In fact, the command prompt has ceased to function properly at all - whenever I try to run it, the window opens, but I am met with a blinking cursor and no C:\ prompt. Very annoying.

I have run several different virus/malware/spyware programs and they have all failed to find anything. Pre-format, my PC was functioning perfectly well using the same version of Windows 7. There is definitely something wrong, so I am appealing to you fine folk to help me find the root of the problem.

My specs:

Q6700 O/C @ 3.25 GHz (the O/C is stable, I am sure)
6 GB DDR3 1300
500 GB SATA HDD
8800 GT
Asus Maximus Extreme
SupremeFX II

If you require any more information, I will be happy to provide it.

EDIT: Removed HJT log data while exploring system issue, malware logs are not allowed in the Win 7 forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 18 April 2010 - 03:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:19 PM

Try clocking your CPU down to stock levels, and see if the freezing stops.

#3 anaxerxes

anaxerxes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:44 PM

Hi crytpodan, thanks for the reply.

Okay, I've just set everything back to stock speeds and it has made no difference. If anything, it's worse. The command prompt is still broken and load times are excessive.

What's the next thing to try?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:47 PM

Run a test on your memory: http://www.memtest.org

ISO Recorder for WIndows 7 a very simple easy to use program to burn images to a CD.

Are you getting any error messages?

Edited by cryptodan, 18 April 2010 - 02:48 PM.

#5 anaxerxes

anaxerxes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:15 PM

It's just ran two sweeps of my memory and didn't find any errors. Thing is, I've had this computer running perfectly stable for a couple of years now without problem, and I've had Windows 7 working for a few months too. This problem has only occured within the last couple of days, so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

One thing I did wonder about is all the 'missing file' errors that HijackThis reported. Do you think there might be any significance to them?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:37 PM

Hello, I did not see the errors...were they A "Cannot find...", "Could not run...", "Error loading... or "specific module could not be found" type message ?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 anaxerxes

anaxerxes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:39 PM

They were all a 'file missing' error and had the prefix 'Service:'. Here's an example:

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:30 PM

alg.exe is the Application Layer Gateway service.

Application Layer Gateway service is a component of Windows OS. It is required if you use a third-party firewall or Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) to connect to the internet. If you end this program using the Task Manager, you will lose all Internet connectivity until your next system restart or login.

Note: The alg.exe file is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32. In other cases, alg.exe is a virus, spyware, trojan or worm!

I would try running a sfc (system file check).
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#9 anaxerxes

anaxerxes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:41 AM

Hi keyboardninja,

I ran the file check like you suggested. Interestingly, the problems with the command prompt still persisted if I tried to run it directly (i.e. by typing 'cmd' into the run bar), but when I typed 'sfc /scannow' into the bar, it ran. However, the window closed before I got to see any results. I had a look at the log file in the Windows directory, but it makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. However, it did seem to find some problems. I can post it up here if anyone will find it useful.

It doesn't seem to have fixed the problem anyway. I still can't get the command prompt to run, and I'm still getting occasional freezing. In fact, whilst sfc was running, the freezing was particularly bad.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:15 PM

Can you scan with http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php and http://www.superantispyware.com and post the results here.

#11 anaxerxes

anaxerxes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:18 PM

Okay, the scan with Malwarebytes didn't find anything, so I'll not bother posting the log. However, SuperAntiSpyware found a few things, though I don't think any of them are particularly significant (they were all described as tracking cookies):

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 04/19/2010 at 07:14 PM

Application Version : 4.35.1000

Core Rules Database Version : 4823
Trace Rules Database Version: 2635

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:15:50

Memory items scanned : 577
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 4770
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 23502
File threats detected : 22

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Users\House of Rump III\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\house_of_rump_iii@zedo[1].txt
C:\Users\House of Rump III\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\house_of_rump_iii@sales.liveperson[3].txt
C:\Users\House of Rump III\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\house_of_rump_iii@server.iad.liveperson[2].txt
C:\Users\House of Rump III\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\house_of_rump_iii@247realmedia[2].txt
C:\Users\House of Rump III\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\house_of_rump_iii@doubleclick[2].txt
C:\Users\House of Rump III\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\house_of_rump_iii@server.iad.liveperson[3].txt
C:\Users\House of Rump III\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\house_of_rump_iii@sales.liveperson[1].txt
C:\Users\House of Rump III\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\house_of_rump_iii@chitika[1].txt
C:\Users\House of Rump III\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\house_of_rump_iii@adserver.adtechus[2].txt
C:\Users\House of Rump III\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\house_of_rump_iii@advertising[1].txt
C:\Users\House of Rump III\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\house_of_rump_iii@serving-sys[1].txt
C:\Users\House of Rump III\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\house_of_rump_iii@media6degrees[2].txt
C:\Users\House of Rump III\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\house_of_rump_iii@atdmt[2].txt
C:\Users\House of Rump III\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\house_of_rump_iii@questionmarket[2].txt
C:\Users\House of Rump III\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\house_of_rump_iii@revsci[1].txt
C:\Users\House of Rump III\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\house_of_rump_iii@msnportal.112.2o7[1].txt
C:\Users\House of Rump III\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\house_of_rump_iii@adtech[1].txt
C:\Users\House of Rump III\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\house_of_rump_iii@bs.serving-sys[1].txt
C:\Users\House of Rump III\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\house_of_rump_iii@chitika[2].txt
C:\Users\House of Rump III\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\house_of_rump_iii@collective-media[2].txt
C:\Users\House of Rump III\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\house_of_rump_iii@www.burstnet[2].txt
C:\Users\House of Rump III\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\house_of_rump_iii@burstnet[1].txt

#12 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:22 PM

Yes, tracking cookies are trivial (aka insignificant).

I had a look at the log file in the Windows directory, but it makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. However, it did seem to find some problems. I can post it up here if anyone will find it useful.

Yes, please post what you found.

I'm still not quite sure why your command prompt doesn't work. :huh:

#13 anaxerxes

anaxerxes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:30 PM

Well, I tried using this command: "findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt" in the run bar. The command prompt window opens, does something very quickly and then closes before I have a chance to read it. No sfcdetails.txt file appears on my desktop. I have had a look in C:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log and there are a number of entires corresponding to today's date when I ran the scan, but the resulting text wall will probably take several lifetimes to read.

Shall I post it anyway, or is there another way to extract the pertinent information?

Edited by anaxerxes, 19 April 2010 - 01:38 PM.

#14 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:38 PM

Well, since there is no option for attaching files in the Windows 7 sub-forum, I guess that is your only option.

#15 anaxerxes

anaxerxes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:41 PM

Could a mod move this to another forum where we can? It's going to get very, very messy otherwise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users