Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turn OFF Flash ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 23 September 2005 - 02:52 PM

is there a mod/extension or something for firefox that will let me turn off this horrible invention.

flash does nothing but slow my computer down. its bad enough i have to look at their stupid ads, i dont need it slowing down my computer too.

but there are a few things out there that will require flash. so i dont want to disable it all together. i just want to be able to turn it on just when i need it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:40 PM

i dont use firefox, but it sounds like i would check in the "security" section of the browser and set the security settings higher, this will make things more manual so maybe also more cumbersome.
maybe this will help maybe not. but you had no othewr replies!
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:07 PM

Macromedia Flash should only launch when you need it to view something; it should not, in itself, cause your computer to slow down although downloading the flash file so it can be played might.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 12:07 PM

^^ ??

like there are ads on webpages that are in motion. with moving pics. are they not flash? isnt flash or something running that?

cant i turn off whatever runs those animations on/off? bc i really dont like these ads slowing my computer. :|

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 25 September 2005 - 12:27 PM

is there a mod/extension or something for firefox that will let me turn off this horrible invention.

Yes, there is here.

Yes, the flashing ads you see can be flash, and yes, lots of flash going on eats computer resources and slows it down.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users