Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Small but deadly autorun.inf files.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 autorunhell

autorunhell

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:54 AM

Hello,

I've read the forums, just browsing around reading about viruses.
Never thought I'd have a virus that wouldn't be taken care of with a system reformat.
Apparently I have a Win32/Peerfrag.EU worm. Though I don't mind actually reformatting my system at this point, this worm has attacked all of my portable media, i.e flash drives, iPods, etc.

This worm leaves an autorun.inf file in every removable disk I own, and if you try to modify or delete it, access is denied.
I have ESET NOD32, and the best it can do is attempt to delete the file unsuccessfully and ask to reboot.

Some basic information:
Gateway M1617
Running Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
Using Windows Firewall along with NOD32 for realtime protection
NOD32 has "successfully" cleaned 72 attacks by this worm

If you would be so kind, please help me in this matter so I can safely reformat.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 01:24 AM

If you hold down the shift key while you plug in the flash drive it will prevent any autoruns from executing.

Download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users