Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google exe file corrupt?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jamesthedog

jamesthedog

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:48 AM

Hello all..I'm new here. I recently followed the instructions posted by bleepingcomputer.com on how to get rid of that awful pop up malware called "Security Tools" and it worked like a charm..thank you very much. However, there is a lingering problem that started right after the first boot up: at the start up of my Dell computer, a window pops up indicating that something is corrupt in C:\Progra\google~2\google~2.exe. Does anybody know how to fix this? Everything runs normal except it doesn't allow my calendar to appear on the screen at start up and a few icons at the bottom are missing as well. I tried system restore but the earliest date available is the day all the virus and malware were eliminated.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:22 AM

Have you tried reinstalling it?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:23 AM

The first thing I would do...is look at the path specified.

I personally have no idea why Google should have a program folder...unless you have installed some program developed by Google.

Until proven otherwise...I'd consider it malware, particularly so in light of previous problems with malware. I suggest a very thorough scan of your system, using Malwarebytes first...then your updated, installed AV.

FWIW: Various users who think they have eliminated known malware items...seem to fail to realize that there may be other items which need to be eliminated by thorough scans using updated, installed AV and an antispyware application like SUPERAntiSpyware.

There is nothing that gets everything in the world of malware defense.

Let us know if you are unable to scan and how they turn out.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users