Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smartphone Advice Needed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle B

Kyle B

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:50 AM

First off, I'm in Korea, so please don't post Nokia phones as suggestions, as they are practically unavailable.

Because my Xperia is giving me hell, I'm looking into getting a new phone. If you saw the title, it's pretty obvious I'm looking for a smartphone a la iPhone or BB or something run by Android.

I use the browser frequently(?) -- I would guess I average about an hour a day browsing stuff online while in the bus or subway. I don't call as much; I have more calendar days in a month when I don't even ring a number. I do however text pretty frequently for one thing or another, and I type the occasional email on the go. I didn't download many programs on my Xperia, but what few I downloaded I used heavily (metronome, etc.).

I know this is highly subjective and a possible flame war instigator, but what is your suggestion for a smartphone? I really like the UI for the iPhone, but I'm afraid typing stuff on a touch keyboard is going to be a pain (it was when I briefly tried). Same goes with the Android phones available here. Because I used the Xperia's keyboard for a good year, I'm leaning more towards a Blackberry (specifically Bold 9700 -- only model available). What do other phone owners think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:09 PM

Does your carrier support a 30 day return policy? Meaning you can 'try' a phone model for 30 days and return it for another model if you don't like it.

<Personal Bias ON> BlackBerry <Personal Bias OFF> When it comes to gadgets and things like this it really comes down to carrier support and service and personal likes and dislikes. It's all about choices. :blink:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 thicool

thicool

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:36 PM

i have an iphone and i love it.
especially after breaking it out of jail.

you said that you dont think you would like the texting on the iphone, but when i first got it, i was horrible at texting.
then after a few weeks i was a pro.

personally i think that i can text better on the iphone than any other phone i have ever used.

the only complaint i have about the iphone on AT&T is the coverage drop. if you live in city limits the signal is not a problem, but i live in the county and its horrible :blink:

#4 Phathead6669

Phathead6669

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:29 PM

Can you get the Palm Pre in your area? I got the phone pretty much the day it was available in Canada. I enjoyed it when I first got it. Web Browsing is quick, it has a universal search function(Just start typing and it will check anything on your phone or offer to google it for you if nothing on your phone matches), Larger screen than any BB I have seen, and has a slid down keyboard that is similar to a BB.

The only issue I had was that the apps for the phone were pretty scarce and being that they were all free you didn't get to high of a quality app. But about a month ago I guess Palm decided they would allow companies to charge for their apps and now the apps are growing in numbers ever day. A lot of the iPhone apps I wanted a slowing making their way to the Palm OS(WebOS is the OS name).

So if you can get the Palm Pre in Korea I would take a look at it. Ever since they started coming out with good apps I love the phone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users