Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MAC question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 big_mork

big_mork

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 23 September 2005 - 01:43 PM

I have a quick question about MAC addressees. Is there anyway to determine the wired MAC add of a wireless router, given just the wireless MAC, or is there anyway using a program like netstumbler to determine the wired mac add of a wireless router, while only connecting/seeing the wireless connection? I hope my question clear, will post reply if more info is needed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 23 September 2005 - 02:05 PM

There is only one MAC for a device. If you have the MAC for the router it does not matter which end you get it from, the RJ-45 end or wireless end that is broadcasted to your computer. The only exception I can think of is on a modem. If you have USB and a RJ-45 connection, each of them will have it's own MAC.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:31 PM

acklan is correct in saying the MAC addresses are encoded in the network devices at the facctory for life, however, you can ;and usually do; "clone"the mac address in the router when you use a cable isp. and it is very possible, and easy to "spoof" your mac address.
there are protocol analyzers like ethereal to do what i think you are asking. now you arent trying to do any wireless hacking are you? this is NOT something I will condone or help. if not, let us know if you have any more questions.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#4 big_mork

big_mork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:19 AM

Umm are you sure that a wireless router only has one MAC? cause the guys at this link don't seem to think so,
http://www.netstumbler.org/showthread.php?...48&page=1&pp=15
They ripped on the guy pretty hard at the end.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 26 September 2005 - 02:30 PM

No, I believe it's in line. It's hard to explain everything about anything in one sentence. The switch he is referring to probably has addressable ports. Similar to a post office box verse general delivery. I was trying to keep it simple since I believed the base question was aimed at home networking and you were looking for a basic reply and not looking for as lengthy one. I own a residential router, the Linksys NR401, that has the feature that you can change the MAC.
As for what was said in that forum I know for a fact that the moderators would not tolerate such abuse language.
There was one comment that I would dispute. I have been a medic since 1978 and the comment about EMT is grossly inaccurate. I don't know what state he is in, but if he teaches like that he should have his NREMT Instructor's card suspended.
If you need an all encompassing statement about networking I'm not your man, but I know enough about SOHO nad home networking to help you. And like was stated in that link I don't want a flame war.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users