Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SOund card question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 swilson

swilson

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 23 September 2005 - 12:47 PM

I am trying to get a game port to work so that I can install a controller on my computer. I installed a new sound card (generic CompUSA card) and installed all the drivers associated with that. Well I am not sure if it is installed the game port correctly because every time I go into the game controller section to install a controller and it won't work.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how I might be able to fix this?

Thanks,
Shona

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zanthryx

zanthryx

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 02:09 PM

Does the computer recognize the game port in Device Manager?

If it does, when you go into the device properties does it have any conflicts with hardware settings?

What type of controller are you attempting to install? Does is come with any software? When you go into the Add function under Game controllers is it listed? Or do you have to choose a generic device and configure from there?

#3 swilson

swilson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 11:35 AM

Further to you last message, I have reinstalled the old sound card I previously used on my last computer. It is an Avance Logics ALS4000 card. I downloaded the drivers and reinstalled it and I have sound. But I still have a conflict under device manager. It has installed a standard game port but it has an exclamation sign.

When I go into it, it says, This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

The problem is there is no other items with exclamation points, so I would conclude that it is an IRQ conflict, but I am unable to determine what IRQ it is using and how to change it. So I don't know how to fix the problem. I don't think it is a problem with the sound card/game port. I think it is a conflict with the motherboard.

Also, when I go into add hardware, I have to choose a generic and try to configure from there, but it has automatically installed the generic game port - which would be sufficient if I could get Windows to think it is working properly.

Any suggestions?
Thanks, Shona

#4 swilson

swilson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2005 - 01:24 AM

I have gotten this issue resolved with the assistance of some people on the forum for the motherboard manufacture. The problem was there was a conflict with the addresses that the new sound cards use. I installed an older sound card that used a specific chipset (as someone there recommended) and it worked like a charm.

Thanks for the assistance.
Shona

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users