Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer not workiing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 inenigma

inenigma

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:56 AM

Hi,

The daughter has a school assignment that she needs to print and the printer/computer has decided to throw a tantrum.... When we try and print from MS Word, we get the message that "No printers are installed" (Yes, there is a printer and it has been installed and we have printed from it for the past three years...), so I go into Control Panel and select Printers, no printers are displayed..... Click <add Printer> and get message "Can't open Add Printer. The local print spooler service is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine". I have rebooted both the printer and the computer, it still says the same thing ????

Found that the Print Spooler Service had been stopped in "Services". Start it up and it can't find any existing printers...... But, the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon from toolbar shows that HP PhotoSmart 7600 is there ??? Looks like I need to re-install the printer API.

Has anyone had this happen to them before ??? What did you do to fix ???

Cheers,
David

Edited by inenigma, 18 April 2010 - 03:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 inenigma

inenigma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:33 AM

That's bizarre.... Third restart.... Printer working normally.... Only thing I tried to do was to re-install drivers for Hp 7660 photosmart from the net after the last restart... That Hung... So I restarted for third time... Printer's there and works.... Something strange is happening.... Can anyone suggest what I can look at to try and find out what is going on with my PC ????

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:13 AM

I would uninstall the printer...make sure that the Print Spooler service is properly set (Started/Automatic)...run chkdsk /r on the system partition...reinstall the printer anew.

When uninstalling/deleting the printer, I would also remove (via Add/Remove Programs) any software related to the printer install.

Louis

#4 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:24 PM

I would uninstall the printer...make sure that the Print Spooler service is properly set (Started/Automatic)...run chkdsk /r on the system partition...reinstall the printer anew.

When uninstalling/deleting the printer, I would also remove (via Add/Remove Programs) any software related to the printer install.

Louis

In my experience, reinstalling the printer is a possibility, but if the Spooler Service up and quit, that may lead to future problems with the OS. I'd do the chkdsk /r first.

What is also needed here, and should have been requested, is which version of Windows you use. Vista, especially, is prone to Spooler Subsystem App crashes, especially when using HP printers. Don't ask me why...I'm no programmer. But I see that issue crop up all the time. You may end up needing to run Microsoft's Fix-It on your Spooler if reinstalling the printer doesn't work or doesn't hold up for long.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users