Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung monitor stopped working w/HP laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wtuyem

wtuyem

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:27 AM

I recently bought a Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM LCD monitor. Out of the box, I plugged it into my HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop using the VGA cable, and things worked perfectly. About a week later, it stopped working.

I brought it into Samsung after service to try to get it fixed, but when they plugged it into one of their computers, it worked without a problem. While I was there, I hooked it up to my laptop to show them the problem, and after 10 minutes or so of playing with it, they were unable to get it to work. However, I am in South Korea, and the laptop language is English, so they may have had some trouble with that.

My OS is Windows 7 32 bit. I have tried all sorts of options in the screen resolution settings, but cant get it to show. The screen looks like something is happening (it flickers a tiny bit), but it never shows anything. Also, on occasion when I first plug the monitor into the laptop I can see the desktop for a few seconds.

This is very frustrsting since it did work for a while, but now I get nothing. The monitor is just taking up space. I'd be grateful for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:00 AM

Does another monitor work OK on the laptop?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 wtuyem

wtuyem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:46 AM

<<Does another monitor work OK on the laptop? >>

No. While at the Samsung service center, we tried plugging it in with no luck.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,696 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:23 AM

Then it appears the problem is with the video in the laptop. DV6000 series laptops with nVidia chipsets had problems:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...189&lang=en

"The following symptoms apply to the dv6000, dv9000 and v6000 series notebooks:
There is no video on the computer LCD panel or external monitor."

#5 wtuyem

wtuyem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:28 AM

Does this mean that there is no known way to fix it?

It really gets me that it worked for a week or more and then just stopped. Any suggestions on how to fix?

Thanks.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,696 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:07 AM

Well, if it is the problem with the nVidia chip, then the only solution is to have it repaired, which would not be a cheap repair.

The failure is due to the video chip being run too hot. Since modern chips control their power consumption by disabling sections that are not being used, running the secondary monitor is likely to have increased its operating temperature, and I guess a week of that was all it could take. Is the BIOS version earlier than F.3D?

#7 wtuyem

wtuyem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:34 PM

Oh, OK, thanks. I know that this computer does run really hot.

The BIOS version is F.16...I think thats before F.3D. If the chip is burnt out, is there any reason to update the BIOS?

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,696 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:20 AM

Yes, that is an older BIOS version, and if you want to continue using the laptop as it is, it would be best to update to the current BIOS. The later BIOS runs the cooling fan at a low speed during idle times where the older BIOS stops the fan. So operating temps are lower and may help stave off any further failure of the video.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users